GreyScreen of Death - SnL MBPro-restore from TM

Reaction score
Will a full restore from Time Machine include the file permissions that are set on some videos that I want to go away?

It all started because I was trying to delete some videos in the root of my 500GB HD that would not go away. No luck changing permissions, but I think that started my problem because I used the terminal key sequence.

Fortunately I had done a full backup on my 2TB Time Machine just prior to shutting down the machine. Restarting after that began this ordeal!

Grey screen, chime, and then turns off.

I have tried all the troubleshooting suggestions (I've been searching this forum for 8 hours today). I can see the safe mode texts, until it says CPU HALTED, then the Power Off happens. Is there a "pause" button so I can read?

Anyway,
My better half is mailing me all my Apple disks from SC. I am in Kuwait.

When I get MY disk (not a fellow Apple owner's) Should I try the PWR-C after chime and try to run Repair Disk before trying to restore the entire disk from Time Machine?

I had tried to repair permissions yesterday, but got an error message on a couple of files that I did not recognize.

My concern is that if I restore from Time Machine, I will simply put myself a few hours before the crash.

My MacBook Pro is 3 months old, 8GB Ram, 500MB, updated to Snow Leopard in September, and it runs Vista Ultimate 64-bit in Fusion wonderfully (for my antenna simulation software).

Any Thoughts?
Ken
RF Engineer, MAC noob

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.