Surge Protector

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
emac + macbook 13"
I am about to leave for overseas and believe I need a surge protector. I have a macbook 13". Black outs are common in the country I'm going to.

What do i need to buy? roughly how much are they?

I know nothing about these things. I will have a look around on google to find out more but I am pretty hopeless at researching and the only way I ever find good info is when someone gives me a link to the place everyone but me knows about. So if you a link that could be nice.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Do you just require one socket or more than that?
You need a protector that monitors voltage constantly, not just a simple breaker switch type.
What country are you going to btw? Your going to need an adaptor as well no doubt.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
emac + macbook 13"
I am in australia and I am going to india. Last time i went i bought an adaptor for my battery charger. I thought I could use the same thing this time.

I found out some info. I was looking at the belkins but I don't understand what I am looking at. Its all double dutch. That's why i need someone to tell me what to buy. I hoped it would be something most people understood.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Nice site toMACsh - gotta do this myself - looks like I'm doing some traveling soon also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
The standardardised voltage used in India is 220V/50 Hz with a tolerance varying from 216V to 253V [source: Wikipedia]. You need a surge protector that will tolerate up to 270 v I suggest.

Power drop/fade, and/or blackout, are different matters, and probably mean a combination surge and UPS unit.

See this site for plug types, given as C, D & M, so they're different from Australia. Mains power around the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Search this Forum or post back for advice about a suitable UPS.

Reaction score
I am about to leave for overseas and believe I need a surge protector. I have a macbook 13". Black outs are common in the country I'm going to.

What do i need to buy? roughly how much are they?

I know nothing about these things. I will have a look around on google to find out more but I am pretty hopeless at researching and the only way I ever find good info is when someone gives me a link to the place everyone but me knows about. So if you a link that could be nice.

Cheers

You could probably get away with a very small unit for the Macbook 13". Depending on the country you're going to, you could get a unit like the Back UPS ES 350. It's a small surge protector/power backup. Really handy device to have especially if you're protecting something small like a laptop. India runs on 220V I believe, someone correct me if I am wrong. You'll need the BE350GI, the "I" at the end is the international models. I have several myself, never had any problems.

J

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.