Upgarde from Panther OS X on iBook G4

Reaction score
Very new to the Mac world and am having to manage my wifes laptop but am also considering buying a new iMac.

We have an iBook G4 laptop running Panther. I would like to upgrade the OS to the latest appropriate version. Can someone tell me is it :

a) Worthwhile to do so.
b) How to find out the version of OS currently being run.
c) Can I just download the OS from Apple.
d) Should I do a complete re-install or just an upgrade.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
a) yes i believe any upgrade is worth it, but then again its a personal choice, depending if your happy with the latest that your running.
b) click on the  logo in top left corner then About This Mac and it will show you which version you are running. Then more info if you want to see what s in your mac.
c) You can download straight from the site HERE and search for Combo Updates after now what version you have after doing the  thing. Recommend not to do a combo update via the software updater. Can freeze and not install properly.
d) just upgrade

Hope this helps and yea
Welcome to the forum :D

Cheer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Are you intending to change the OS version? i.e: Go from Panther to Tiger/Leopard?
If so some machine specs would let us determine which would be the better option.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
c) You can download straight from the site HERE and search for Combo Updates after now what version you have after doing the  thing. Recommend not to do a combo update via the software updater. Can freeze and not install properly.

I'm curious to know what you are suggesting the OP download from the link you provided?

If the OP is thinking about upgrading their OS from Panther to either Tiger or Leopard...this cannot be downloaded...the OP needs to purchase the install disks for Tiger or Leopard first to do the install.

Then they can use the link you provided to update Tiger or Leopard to the latest version.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.