Just bought Macbook pro, and now worried...

TWM

Reaction score
Just placed my order for a new 15" macbook pro 2.66 ghz (dual graphics), and after reading on a few of apples support forums, it seems like quite a few people have had an issue of the screen flickering, especially when using the "energy saver" graphics card. The computer will be here tomorrow and I am just wondering if this problem is really that common, or if it just seemed like that because I was on the support forum! This is not my first mac, Just an upgrade!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
I have the 17" MBP 2.8GHz dual graphics and no problems here. I think you'll be fine and if anything does happen, you're on Mac-Forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
TWM:

In the support forum you will probably mostly see posts from people having problems. This doesnt mean that your Mac will be problematic. Most people not having problems doesnt say anything.

Read this aricle if you want: MacBook Issues, MacBook Problems

OP
T

TWM

Reaction score
Alright that helped me feel better! LOL just a little nervous reading about those problems after spending $2000. I'm sure it will be fine! Had my 24" iMac for about a year and a half and it's been absolutely perfect! Anyone else with a macbook pro with the dual graphics that wants to chime in, feel free! I would like the support!

Looking further at the issue, These problems started getting reported when these models were introduced about a year ago. if there was an issue, apple most likely would have resolved it by now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Looking further at the issue, These problems started getting reported when these models were introduced about a year ago. if there was an issue, apple most likely would have resolved it by now.

Correct. Reading support forums can always lead to feelings of dread (especially after a new purchase). Best thing to do, check the dates on the posts if there is nothing recent, I wouldn't worry about it. Plus, if it was a huge outstanding issue, you would know about it because every tech news site under the sun would be syndicating it all over the place.

Plus, you have Apple Care for a year and longer if you purchased the extension so your covered in any event.

Enjoy your new machine!

OP
T

TWM

Reaction score
I will definitely get the extended apple care. I have a year to upgrade it. Thanks for the help guys, and I'll post how things go.... should be here withing a couple hours!:$

OP
T

TWM

Reaction score
just wanted to update everyone! Got the macbook pro and it is amazing! Everything is great! thanks for the help everyone!

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I have had mine for a year this week and i have the flickering screen and it doesn't bother me. I use the higher power mode for when I need it anyway. I will be buying applecare this week for sure!

OP
T

TWM

Reaction score
there is no way i would be able to deal with a fickering screen on a $2000+ computer. Why don't you run it in?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.