• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

.mov files on my hard drive have no audio

Reaction score
Hey, I'm working on a dvd right now... Taking clips and putting them together using iDVD.

The .mov files on my hard drive have no audio in quicktime, windows media player, media player classic, or in iDVD. The only place they play fine is in the newest VLC Player.

I tried converting to mp4 with the vlc exporting wizard, but it lowered the quality.

Can anyone help me out? Am I missing a codec? Any idea on which one? Is there a better converter to use that's free?

Please help out!

OP
K
Reaction score
Come on guys this is killing me... I've been trying to figure this out for about 12 hours now.

In quicktime the videos say the format is N/A.

video track is DivX 4.1.2
audio track is MPEG Layer 3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Try grabbing mpegstreamclip and converting to a different format. If you convert to MP4, with any package, you need to make sure you tweak the settings, as the default settings will produce crap. You're going to want to figure out based upon the source what you will need for kbps, resolution, etc.

OP
K
Reaction score
Try grabbing mpegstreamclip and converting to a different format. If you convert to MP4, with any package, you need to make sure you tweak the settings, as the default settings will produce crap. You're going to want to figure out based upon the source what you will need for kbps, resolution, etc.

Thanks for the help. Your tidbit sort of led me to my solution. I happened to find Perian, once I installed it everything worked perfectly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook
late to the game, but yeah, Perian will do the trick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.