Partitioning

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
Is there a way to partition a harddrive on a current running setup of Tiger, without redoing the OS?

Asking because I'm wanting to switch back to Leopard by way of a clean install, and I don't have my external hdd with me to move the recent downloads off. I was hoping to split the drive into 2 partitions and move everything to the second partition, and then do a fresh Leopard install on the first one.

Reaction score
No, you can't do that... (except if using Bootcamp) as soon as you partition the drive, all data will be erased.

In theory I think it would be possible to create a Bootcamp Partition and put it there, you'll have your clean install...but then you are still stuck with one MacOSX partition.

Good luck

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You could use iPartition - but it's not exactly cheap. For about the same money you could find a 160-200 GB off brand external drive on newegg.

Never tried it - so Disk Utility won't non-destructively resize a partition in Tiger?

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
Found a copy of iPartition.

iPartition FTW!! <Quagmire> OH! </Quagmire>

Worked great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.