Mac Mini Issues?

M

meehmac

Was planning to get a Mac Mini soon. But being so small, I was wondering whether the Mini has any known heat issues? Also, does it use a regular or laptop-sized hard drive?

Also, should I wait until Tiger is released before purchasing?

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
There are no heat issues known until now. It uses the same G4 that are built into iBooks and PowerBooks. They have an even smaller enclosure, and run at higher clockspeeds (atleast the PowerBooks), without any problem.

It has a 2.5" Harddisk, which is laptop-size and -speed.

Yes, you should definitely wait until Tiger comes. It's only 10 days from today on... :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Still, even if you buy now, I believe that buying this close to release, you'd get either a free upgrade, or for like $10 or something.

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

I've had my mini for about 3 days ---- works great - no heat issues as of yet -- all the surfaces are at basically room temp or very close to that - putting fingers at the rear vents you get a slightly warm feeling. Have never heard the fans -

As a note I'm an ex-PC designer very familiar with all these ascpects of system design --- so far its a big thumbs up.

So for daily average use it should remain pretty cool --- now if you loaded up stress tests and benchmarks and let them run continously for hours - it might get a bit warmer ..... you don't do that do you ? :p

I also got a Tiger upgrade receipt -- already mailed with $9.95 check ---- why wait ????

Reaction score
PC_Puke said:
now if you loaded up stress tests and benchmarks and let them run continously for hours - it might get a bit warmer ..... you don't do that do you ? :p

Actually it still doesn't get that hot, but the fan gets LOUD.

I haven't had an heat issues with mine, it runs really quiet most of the time, like others have said it is above like a laptop.

OP
T

Thud

No heat issues here. You can hear the fan turn up during heavy processor usage though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.