Automator workflow to disable MBP screen

Reaction score
First of all, this is my first post here at MacForums, I'm sure it will be the first of many. I am one of the management team of a very large forum on the topic of poker (3.5 million visitors/month), I'm impressed with what I see so far here, very nice! I recently just purchased my first Mac in years, a Macbook Pro 17". I was a Mac user until 2000 when I was forced to switch to Windows for business reasons, although my main desktop will remain a Windows machine my laptop is now OSX 10.6 with Parallels running Windows 7.

Question:

When I am not on the road I like to plug in my MBP to one of my desktop monitors, I set up the system so the monitor mirrors the MBP LCD screen, then I manually lower the brightness to disable the LCD display on the MBP so I can continue to use the keyboard without being distracted by the LCD (I dont want to use clamshell mode). Right now I am manually lowering the brightness of the LCD, but I'd like to create an automater script that lowers the brightness (turns off the LCD) anytime I plug in the Mini Display Port to DVI converter, or if thats not possible at least a script which allows me to change the display brightness with one click. Can anyone tell me if this is possible?

Thanks in advance...

Reaction score
I've been searching the net in order to find some answer to your query, but to no avail.

I edited my post since the idea I had also blacks out your other display.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.