Reinstall to clear problems

V

Volt

I'm having stability problems with my iMac, I've made a couple threads but no help so I would like to do a clean install of the OS.

It's a new iMac, it came with 2 DVDs:

1) iMac OS X Install DVD version 10.5.6
2) iMac Applications Install DVD AHT version 3A159

I'd like to completely wipe the hard drive and install the OS clean. I have experience in Windows but none in Mac. Are there any issueswith order of installation (such as chipset drivers being installed before video card, etc.)?

Any issues that I should know about before doing this? Any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What problems are you having that perhaps we could assist you with? Generally OS X does not require re-installs such as you are used to doing. The operating system, Leopard OS X.5.6 will install drivers etc.

To do a clean install, pop in the Leopard DVD, reboot and hold down 'C' immediately after the chimes. When loads, do not start install, go to Utilities and select Disk Utility, run Repair Disk, then Erase, format Mac OS Extended )Journalled0 and Apple Partition Map if you require partitions.

Return to installer and proceed with install. This wipes everything from your iMac so if there is anything you want saved, do a back up first. If you have no spare hard drive, you can select the Archive and Install option and all your folders and programs will be saved in a folder named 'Old Operating Sustem' or similar. You can open this file, drag out want you want and later trash that file.

Update then OS x.5.8 by downloading the combo updater direct from the Apple web site.

Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update

OP
V

Volt

Thanks for the info guys!

I've made a couple threads about the crashing and the long boot up time, nothing helped so far.

Here's one:http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/162515-problems-crashing.html

If you have no spare hard drive, you can select the Archive and Install option and all your folders and programs will be saved in a folder named 'Old Operating Sustem' or similar.

This folder won't get wiped off the drive when formating it?

After the OS install, will I need to install anything from the "iMac Applications Install DVD"?

Thanks again!

OP
V

Volt

I'd much rather a clean install, I always liked that. Why take stuff over from a known corrupted system...

ETA: I just realized that there is an update. I'm surprised that it didn't tell me this when updating the OS. I guess I should just buy the 10.6 OS and install that instead of wasting my time on the 10.5 disc that I have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'd much rather a clean install, I always liked that. Why take stuff over from a known corrupted system...

I agree, however, there may be things that you may want to keep.... so if that's the case, a backup HD is needed, otherwise, you have the archive and install option.
The archive leaves you with a folder, that you can pick and choose what you want to move back, so if there are things there that you know aren't corrupted, that it's quick and easy to move it back to your system.

OP
V

Volt

I agree, however, there may be things that you may want to keep.... so if that's the case, a backup HD is needed, otherwise, you have the archive and install option.
The archive leaves you with a folder, that you can pick and choose what you want to move back, so if there are things there that you know aren't corrupted, that it's quick and easy to move it back to your system.
The only thing I need are pictures. I have about 7 gigs of them, I need to find a way to put them on 2 DVDs since that's my only way to back them up and transfer them to the new system. Maybe if I export all of them out of iPhoto back into JPG's I can burn them and then import them back into iPhoto after the install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
To do a clean install, pop in the Leopard DVD, reboot and hold down 'C' immediately after the chimes. When loads, do not start install, go to Utilities and select Disk Utility, run Repair Disk, then Erase, format Mac OS Extended )Journalled0 and Apple Partition Map if you require partitions.

Whoa! I think it should be Guid partition map for a new iMac.

OP
V

Volt

I highly recommend investing in an external hard drive.... It really is a must, and for the little that they cost now days, there is no excuse not to have one.
If you run in to problems, such as your internal HD failing, without one..... you are stuck!
I use a WD, so just as an example, here is a link after just one google search.
Western Digital External Hard Drive - Hard Drives - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review

the only thing I have to backup are pictures, after I burn them to a pair of DVDs I will be set. After that, I can burn DVDs every month or two when I add new pics. No need to spend so much on a hard drive when I have so little to backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.