Quick RAM Question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo 2Gb RAM 160Gb HDD
I have just ordered a nice shiny new 27" Imac to replace my aged old PC in my room. Its going to take a week or two to arrive as its quad core but I am only buying with 4Gb RAM from apple, with the intention of buying another 4Gb and installing myself - as its much cheaper.

My question is though, do all 4 RAM chips in the computer have to be the same brand / make of RAM for the computer to work at its max potential? Or will it be fine so long as they are same spec?

Thanks in advance to whoever answers!

I will post a review of the 2.8Ghz Quad Core iMac as soon as it arrives and is set up...

T

todd51

It shouldn't matter what brands they are. I have mixed/matched RAM brands before without any problems. A lot of people like to have the exact same sticks of RAM running side-by-side though. However, as long as they are the same speeds and same type you should be fine.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo 2Gb RAM 160Gb HDD
Thanks for the quick reply!!

Cant wait to get hold of the computer now. I hope there are no snags with the quad core set ups though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.