The new mouse a good buy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.1 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 250gb
Is the new mouse a good buy and would it work on old macbooks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I went over to my local Apple store yesterday to check out the new mouse, and apparently it takes awhile for new stuff to get down here on the Gulf Coast because they didn't have any in stock. Bummer. However they did have demo units attached, er, associated with the display iMacs so I got to play with one. On the one hand, I would be looking forward to eliminating the occasional gummed up mouse ball with my current mighty mouse, on the other hand it eliminates two things that I really like: middle click and the fourth "squeeze" button that I use to open links in a new tab and Exposé All Windows respectively. You can use the 'secondary button', i.e. the 'right click' to invoke Exposé, but I already use the right click for the context menus.

Eventually (when they get them in stock next week) I'll probably pick one up, but the Apple person told me they really won't be supported fully until 10.6.2 which is coming soon® to use the new features. I didn't get one on this trip. I will say that it does match my keyboard and MBP, and the scrolling with the gestures is pretty cool, but I'm going to miss my "squeeze" option for Exposé.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
I went over to my local Apple store yesterday to check out the new mouse, and apparently it takes awhile for new stuff to get down here on the Gulf Coast because they didn't have any in stock. Bummer.

If it's any consolation, they didn't have any in stock up here in Minnesota either. Looking at the Apple website, there is apparently a 5-7 business day waiting period before they ship.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
no expose = fail.

Come ON apple, you invented the mouse FFS, can't you FINALLY put out one with everything we need? 3rd party is where it will be for me, AGAIN.

Sad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
A "good buy" at 70 bucks - you must be joking! Get a Logitech wireless mouse, which has everything you need for less than half the price. Apple produces pretty hardware, but there's always some usability niggle somewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
If it's any consolation, they didn't have any in stock up here in Minnesota either. Looking at the Apple website, there is apparently a 5-7 business day waiting period before they ship.

I would expect them to arrive in stores at the end of October and into the first week or two of November. This will be a purchase I will be making with Apple, even without the ability to do a middle click or squeeze. All I want is to be able to scroll! ;P

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A "good buy" at 70 bucks - you must be joking! Get a Logitech wireless mouse, which has everything you need for less than half the price. Apple produces pretty hardware, but there's always some usability niggle somewhere.

I have to agree with you here. When I first purchased our MacBook, I was all fired up and bought a Mighty Mouse for $49.99. Big mistake. I've since renamed the Mighty Mouse to "Miserable Mouse". I'm now using a Logitech that I purchased at Wal-Mart for $14.95. Works great. I'm certainly not taken in by the name "Magic Mouse", at least not for $70.00!

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
I would expect them to arrive in stores at the end of October and into the first week or two of November. This will be a purchase I will be making with Apple, even without the ability to do a middle click or squeeze. All I want is to be able to scroll! ;P

Get the Targus for mac bt mouse....does it all, properly. And it looks great.

Apple won't get my money for mice anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
This mouse is beautiful to use, you can scroll smoothly like on your iPhone in Safari but, no expose does = FAIL

General tracking is smother, the left / right swipe gesturers are.. A little strange, I cant come to use them so for me its left click, right click and tracking.

I wouldnt saw it was a break through lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
@ bennjiboi ...... HAve they got them in stock in Sydney mate ???

Im just in Perth ATM and flying to Syd tomorrow and ATM no-one has any in stock over here. Got a 3 hr layover so if so might go check the Syd store out

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
For 70 bucks?

Sure the novelties of it being a touch sensitive device is cool, but it doesn't even have a charge station, and after having a ton of wireless mice, a docking station that charges them just makes it so much better. Logitech mice will have this even for lower than that price range.

One thing I don't think a lot of mice have, but mine does, is on the fly dpi settings. Great for when I game, and the buttons on the side can be programed so when I press them in game, the dpi temporarily slows down. I can even program a button on it to record an action (great for when I have to do a batch of stuff in Photoshop). I don't think that mouse has an extra button or action you can use to move forward or back a page in your internet browser, because I haven't seen the demo do it.

Where's the expose button?

All that mouse promises me is tactile-less device that can do some scrolling and swiping that I'll need to change the batteries for once in a while, and it seems that it'll need just as much cleaning/maintenance as this mouse does (the mighty mouse sucked in this department) and I bet you'll need glue to put that mouse back together too.

Using the Sidewinder X5 mouse from Microsoft, by the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15 2.2 i7 4GB 750GB
The new mouse is here in Novi, Michigan's Apple Store.

I just used it and to me the surface that you do the gestures on is to resistive to me. Maybe I just need to get used to first, but I still don't like it too much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@ bennjiboi ...... HAve they got them in stock in Sydney mate ???

Im just in Perth ATM and flying to Syd tomorrow and ATM no-one has any in stock over here. Got a 3 hr layover so if so might go check the Syd store out

Cheers

No apple stores have stock yet, well, thats what they told me on saturday. They were hoping to get some in this week.

It's worth giving them a call in advance to see anyway though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac G5 2 GHz 20 inch- IPod Touch 2nd Generation
Is The Magic Mouse A Waste Of Money?

From what I hear it is, but I would actually like to own one if they are in the least bit good. Because it is bluetooth is the reason I am a bit worried, my grandma has a Bluetooth mouse and she hates it, it is NOT the new one the Magic Mouse. Is this any better?

Basically would I be wasting my money if I went and got this mouse?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" imac,4GBram,extended keyboard,wireless mouse,19" second monitor
I'm curious as to what exactly your grandmother hates about her mouse. Is it because it's a bluetooth? Does she want something with a lot of range to it? I have had various bluetooth mice and they all seem to basically work well with my computers (the latest being my new imac). Might it be she just got a bad one out of the myriad of possible choices out there?
I am curious like you are however and would like to try the magic mouse to see what it offers over other wireless mice. I hope to be able to get to a Best Buy (sadly my only close choice for stores with Apple products) and try one out real soon. It sure LOOKS like a winner!
Good luck with your choices!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need to ask youself exactly why you want the new mouse?

If you are looking to buy a feature packed mouse that will blow you away - Sadly this wont be the mouse for you.

If you want a slim smooth tracking mouse that has multi touch and scrolls without a trackball, this would be worth looking at.

I love it, but it lacks featurers.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Bennjiboi said it well.

If you want a mouse to act mostly like the trackpad on the newer Macs, the Magic Mouse is good. But if you want Expose and Dashboard buttons, move on to something else. I am shocked Apple did not allow a setting in mouse properties to allow maybe some double tapping to get to expose.

From the people I have talked to and that I respect, what is there is very nice, it's just missing some functions I would expect for that price. Maybe Apple will add a few things later in the mouse panel like they did for the later iBooks trackpad with 10.5. My iBook does 2 finger tapping now also!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dtravis7 I agree. I was shocked when expose was droped as was the Apple sales guy that I quizzed when I got my iMac on the weekend.

Even he was a little dumbounded that they had left it out and quickly diverted from that conversation.

I think being multi touch, they will be able to introduce new abilitys further down the track.

As you Dtravis7 mentioned his iBook does 2 finger tapping now lol

Apple know what they are doing, they wouldnt roll out a new product that doesnt satisfy the consumer and just give up on it. I'l sure they will watch forums and gather feedback and hopefully get some expose happening!

If it had expose gestures.. It would be love for me lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Is The Magic Mouse A Waste Of Money?
Yes, I'm sure it is for some....

...but, for every one of those people there will be another who disagrees.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.