How do i sync a Macbook Pro with a Imac

Reaction score
I am looking into buying a new macbook pro along with a new Imac; however, i want to know if there is a way to basically have them be identical computers. For example, if i was to apply a few changes to my itunes library on my macbook pro (i.e add a few songs, change an album name, and add some artwork) while at school, then when i came home i would want those same to changes to occur on my imac. Is there anyway that this type of identical syncing is possible?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Save $1,000-$1,500, get yourself a monitor instead of the iMac to plug your MBP into when you get home. Automatically identical.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Save $1,000-$1,500, get yourself a monitor instead of the iMac to plug your MBP into when you get home. Automatically identical.

Perfect !

Reaction score
I am looking into buying a new macbook pro along with a new Imac; however, i want to know if there is a way to basically have them be identical computers. For example, if i was to apply a few changes to my itunes library on my macbook pro (i.e add a few songs, change an album name, and add some artwork) while at school, then when i came home i would want those same to changes to occur on my imac. Is there anyway that this type of identical syncing is possible?

You know, if you're so keen on throwing away money, I have an account you can make a deposit on:) lol

Originally Posted by bobtomay

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Good advice if you NEED to save money, or if you only want one computer. I have a MBP and just got the iMac in July and I love having 2. The gf comes over and i'm doing work - she can check email on the mbp. I want 2 screens to do video/photo work, the imac and hd acd are perfect, the mbp is for travel now or meetings etc.

As far as helping the OP, you can share itunes libraries on both computers, as far as files, etc you can put them on a network and drag and drop etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Suddenly I feel a bit less since ...well...I "NEED" to save money!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
HAHA that wasn't my intention at ALL...I think most of us (myself included) NEED to save money, but some of us don't, i.e. the person who saved the money to buy a mbp and an iMac. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
To the OP, it can be done. I do exactly what you are talking about. I have an iMac and a MBP and they are essentially the same machine. In iTunes with the Home Sharing option it doesn't get much easier. If I make purchases on the iMac and then open iTunes on the MBP they are copied over instantly. You can choose what to copy and what not to. I also use MobileMe to its potential which allows mail account sync, mail rules and preference sync, dock sync, widgets, etc.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Doesn't Apples Mobile Me do this? or something similar? Costs money though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.18MHz
Mirroring Email Accounts into MobileMe

I wanted to know if it's possible to replicate your Mail through mobilme and have an identical set of accounts and folders in a second computer at home. What I'd like is to close my office MBP and open my IMac at home with the same emails, folders, preferences and a good synchronization of my iDisk.

I feel that mobilMe is rather limited to some extent, do you have any suggestions.

Raul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.