Temprature

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Hello,

I would like to know if my macbook pro's temperature is normal:

5vn78l.jpg

It's higher when I am running Windows through Boot Camp (I'm running Windows 7 but OS doesn't make a difference, just the boot camp itself) but it's usually very low (I don't feel that it is hot when I touch it) when I am running Macintosh. I don't know if the fans don't function well on the Windows side, and I've tried using software like SpeedFan (or w.e) but it can't even detect the fans.

The laptop has been connected to AC Power since morning. As well as external monitor, USB keyboard & mouse. Also a stereo speaker.

Thanks a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Those temps. (Low and High) are around average. Maybe a bit high, but nothing to really worry about. 80-90C would be when you want to worry because that's around 180-200F and that's not good especially for idle. You can also use a program like smcFanControl to see your temp. and fan speeds for the Mac side and compare the temps. Good luck.

Reaction score
Those temps. (Low and High) are around average. Maybe a bit high, but nothing to really worry about. 80-90C would be when you want to worry because that's around 180-200F and that's not good especially for idle. You can also use a program like smcFanControl to see your temp. and fan speeds for the Mac side and compare the temps. Good luck.
Mine is an older model (late 2007 / early '08) MacBook Pro 15" screen.
Runs hotter than **** - 80c CPU A diode temp regularly. I set an alarm at 83c.
The early Core Duo Intel chips run hot anyway, but its has been something I've worried about for a long time.
Last Friday, it started shutting off "for no reason". I'd walk away from the system, and when I came back 20 or 30 min later, it was off.
Today, I took it to an Apple store, and they did a quick diag - bad battery.
I think the power draw of the bad battery was adding just enough heat to push it over the top and trigger an over-temp shutdown.
I've replaced the battery, and it didn't make a big difference in temp, but now it is running like it used to without shutting down.
One thing to consider: Turn down the brightness on the LCD display. I did that and the CPU A diode temp dropped to 73c. Maybe the cold-cathode tube used for the backlight uses too much power(?)
One other thing: Get a piece of 12"x18" ceramic wall tile and put it under your laptop. It does wonders at soaking up and dissipating the heat, and it costs $3 USD. And - if the battery catches on fire - it won't spread to your desk.

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, ImageX. And I do use smcFan control but it doesn't affect when I increase the fan and then log on Windows, it only changes the speed while you're no Macintosh. I don't even need it when using Mac because it doesn't get hot at all, barely warm.

ticedoff, thanks for your input. I don't think there's anything with my battery, I mean it has been less than 13 months since I've bought it. I don't think the battery spoils to fast, especially when you calibrate it every week. About the ceramic wall tile, I can get that but there's something better I am thinking of getting; take a look at it

high-performance-3-fan-cooling-pad-with-4-port-usb-hub.jpg

It's not the exact same as this one, but it's the same concept. Also, the one I am thinking of buying doesn't work with USB, but with a power adapter (which is better).

What do you think? Should I go ahead and buy it?

Reaction score
Thank you, ImageX. And I do use smcFan control but it doesn't affect when I increase the fan and then log on Windows, it only changes the speed while you're no Macintosh. I don't even need it when using Mac because it doesn't get hot at all, barely warm.

ticedoff, thanks for your input. I don't think there's anything with my battery, I mean it has been less than 13 months since I've bought it. I don't think the battery spoils to fast, especially when you calibrate it every week. About the ceramic wall tile, I can get that but there's something better I am thinking of getting; take a look at it

high-performance-3-fan-cooling-pad-with-4-port-usb-hub.jpg

It's not the exact same as this one, but it's the same concept. Also, the one I am thinking of buying doesn't work with USB, but with a power adapter (which is better).

What do you think? Should I go ahead and buy it?
I'm not saying your battery is the problem - I'm saying I think it was a factor in my case. Bad battery caused higher temps - and it shuts down.

What I have noticed is that if prop up the back of the laptop case about 1/2", it lowers the internal temp about 4 to 6-degree C on the hottest component. I use a a ceramic coffee cup coaster under the back and it tilts the case a little. (Ceramic wall tiles, coffee cup coasters - you can tell I am CHEAP).

IMHO: Any gadget that gets its power from the laptop is bad. They draw power from the laptop which means shorter battery life (unplugged) or higher heat (battery charger). So, if you need a cooler, I think you are right to get the one that runs on an external power supply.

What I've also noticed is the when I run VMWare Fusion - the CPU core temps go sky-high. Without Fusion running, the CPU core temps drop to around 63c - with Fusion running they hover around 80 and spike to 90c.

I would have to assume any program that requires heavy CPU utilization will do the same.

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blame Apple for that. Also blame them for crap iPod Touch and iPhone batteries. Lol.

Reaction score
I'm wondering how cold is too cold to operate my MacBook pro. I live in a cold climate, and after a 10-minute walk to work in -15 C (that's 5 F for those living outside of Canada) with my laptop in an uninsulated shoulder bag, I usually let it warm up at room temperature for a while before firing it up.

Anybody have any idea how cold is too cold?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I'm wondering how cold is too cold to operate my MacBook pro. I live in a cold climate, and after a 10-minute walk to work in -15 C (that's 5 F for those living outside of Canada) with my laptop in an uninsulated shoulder bag, I usually let it warm up at room temperature for a while before firing it up.

You're fine:

Can cold temperatures adversely affect electronic gadgets? :: Free Tech Support :: Ask Dave Taylor!

If your hard drive-based gifts experience extreme temperatures (below 30 degrees), allow them time to warm to room temperature before operating them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Your MacBook Pro came with a handy book called a "manual" that contains this information. If you've lost yours, you can download a copy at

Apple - Support - Manuals

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.