External display audio problems..

Reaction score
hey guys, I recently purchased a mini display port+usb to hdmi for my macbook to connect to an hdtv. I have it all set up and both video and audio are working well but when i change the volume on the macbook from the apple remote the sound stays the same. The only way i can change the volume is via the tvs remote. I know that this isn't a major problem but it has been bugging me. I am using front row with the lid closed if that helps. Oh one more question, Is there a way to operate front row with the closed lid if the laptop is not using the adapter and how long would it be able to output video for? Thanks a lot

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Am pretty sure most all HDMI inputs treat the audio as a line in source. As such, you would not have control of the sound via the MB remote except maybe mute/unmute.

You're going to need to rephrase the 2nd question, for me at least??? You'll not get any video for any period of time on the TV if the cable is not attached.

OP
P
Reaction score
sorry for not being clear I meant the power adapter, not the video adapter. thanks for the quick reply too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Bobtomay is right about the signal being line level. And you have to have the computer plugged into ac for it to work as you wish.

Hope this helps
clay

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.