HELP!! Installing OSX was tough, But NOW I'm hosed

A

Aloel

I am on a G4 with 641M ram, 10G HD, 333mhz.
My computer would not install 10.3, kept getting errors.
So I got basic OSX from a friend and was able to install after upgrading to 9.2.2 from 9.1. I then upgraded from OSX to OSX.1.5 TERRIFIC!!

I felt like I was in heaven. So I figured maybe 10.3 will install now, and I tried.
It didn't install, some error AND it erased my OSX all together.

I'm a tenacious sort, ( I was using disk utility through each install attempt)so I backed up everything I had on my computer and went for a clean install _ ERASED IT ALL! Install failed.

I can't reinstall the Basic OSX after zapping pram, running disk utility and reformatting twice. None of my OSX CDs will install again. I'm back to 9.2.2 with just a few things not working well...like ancient browsers from installs. No firmware update needed on this machine either...I checked and tried an install.

What am I to do? Considering buying a new Mac mini but I want OSX on my G4 too!

HELLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Is your version of Panther a full version or an upgrade?

OP
A

Aloel

Full version

rman said:
Is your version of Panther a full version or an upgrade?
The installer asked if I wanted to upgrade, archive and install or to erase and install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Hmm..a G4 333MHz?!? That never existed...

Anyway, I had this kind of trouble too, OS9 ran fine, but when trying to install Panther, I had random errors and it was impossible to install.
It took me quite some time to find out that it was because of one memory module that seemed to be a little bit out of spec, and there was no way to make it work with Panther.

OP
A

Aloel

Avalon said:
Hmm..a G4 333MHz?!? That never existed...

Anyway, I had this kind of trouble too, OS9 ran fine, but when trying to install Panther, I had random errors and it was impossible to install.
It took me quite some time to find out that it was because of one memory module that seemed to be a little bit out of spec, and there was no way to make it work with Panther.

It is a first run Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics) 350 MHz, I thought it said 333MHz but I'm not on that computer now. Maybe its the iMac OS9 I had to install when the OS10.3 attempt hosed me. I began with the 8.6 that came with the G4...nowhere man.

I'll check the ram I installed. Who da thunk it could be THAT!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Aloel said:
It is a first run Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics) 350 MHz, I thought it said 333MHz but I'm not on that computer now. Maybe its the iMac OS9 I had to install when the OS10.3 attempt hosed me. I began with the 8.6 that came with the G4...nowhere man.

I'll check the ram I installed. Who da thunk it could be THAT!

Yep, it took me quite some time too to figure that out...nevertheless, It doesn't mean that your issue is the same. But stil worth a try.

OP
A

Aloel

Avalon said:
Yep, it took me quite some time too to figure that out...nevertheless, It doesn't mean that your issue is the same. But stil worth a try.
I'm having someone ELSE attempt to install OSX10.3. He claims to have been successful on 3 of his Macs including one like mine. I'll post the results hopefully tomorrow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aloel said:
I'm having someone ELSE attempt to install OSX10.3. He claims to have been successful on 3 of his Macs including one like mine. I'll post the results hopefully tomorrow.

Your Mac model isn't the problem...there must be some hardware issue somewhere, if the firmware is right.

I saw 10.3 running perfectly on a B&W G3.

OP
A

Aloel

Avalon said:
Your Mac model isn't the problem...there must be some hardware issue somewhere, if the firmware is right.

I saw 10.3 running perfectly on a B&W G3.

A Friend installed it for me and its working GREAT! 10.3.9

Today I changed the password and installed several programs with no problem. Suddenly my last install for my keyboard wouldn't recognize my password. Anyone know how I can change it without the installer CDs?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.