Individual application restoration from external to internal HD software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Is there a software available, that can move an application off an external to internal HD, that finds and moves all the application support, preferences, and any other files to restore as it was.
For instance, if I want to move firefox, or mail etc, that it restores it completely as it was. Firefox with bookmarks, plugins, etc/Mail, setup and running with all related files, and so forth?

The reason I ask, is that I want to do a clean install, and then manually move over the apps, documents, pics, music, movies that I want.
With some applications I manage to find everything I need (as tedious as it is) and for some I have no success, and therefore, keep restoring from backup, as I don't want to have to start from scratch with certain applications.

Is this just wishful thinking on my part?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
Yes there is! You can use the Migration Assistant in the Utilities folder which is under the Applications folder.

This is from the application introduction:

Some of the items you can transfer are:
- User accounts
- Applications
- Network and computer settings
- Files

Hope this helps!

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Thanks for that, but not what I meant....

Using migration assistant, much like restoring from time machine backup, gives the option to transfer all of the applications.
It doesn't allow to select specific applications, and move with the selected applications the related files/folders/plugins, etc scattered in the library.

For instance, if I choose to move firefox to internal HD manually, I then have to go to rummaging through library in external HD directory and home directory, and find anything firefox related to get it running with all the plugins, bookmarks, etc.

I was hoping that there is a software for mac that can locate everything related to the application I choose to move and bring it back.
Kind of like the opposite of AppCleaner!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is not one besides Migration Assistant that I'm aware of. Still has to be done the old fashioned way - all manual. Doing the same myself currently.

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks bobtomay
I thought so... I suspected that it was wishful thinking on my behalf, but wow, what a good bit of software it would be (if any software programmers are reading this)! Could call it "AppBack for Mac" :)
I keep trying to sit down with a clean install to do it manually, but keep losing my patience, and reverting back to restoring the whole system.
I guess its going to have to wait until I feel like spending a good day or more tackling it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I took me about 6 hours doing a clean install of the OS and my most used 50-60 apps a couple of weeks ago. Another 2-3 random hours. Another couple yesterday with VMWare and reinstalling XP and all of it's initial updates.

Still have to find where the notes are stored for Sidenote and get Aperture reinstalled. It's no easy process. I'll probably have 12-15 hours invested by the time it's all done.

It's not something I'd recommend for most users. I only did it due to having installed and uninstalled probably some 3-400 apps since the last clean install. I did have at least a couple of the remnants causing issues in SL.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.