Mac Mini - Control Power LED

G

gus

Hi all.

I am hoping to be able to override the control of the Mac Mini Power LED from a userspace application (if necessary, I will consider kernel space). I am familiar with other hardware/OS's, and I think it is a long shot, but I was wondering whether someone here could confirm my suspicions.

Essentially, I want to flash the power LED when there is a Disc in the CDRom drive.

As I say, I know it is a long shot, but of anyone could point me to a reference on the subject, or to something confirming it can't be done, then I would appreciate it. My core suspicion is that the LED is tied directly into the power management chip, and can't be controlled from the OS. I have done some research, but I am unfamiliar with the Apple documentation layouts/structures, and my searches seem somewhat ineffective. The closest I have come to the subject is:

Long URL into Apple Developer connection

Any references, pointers, opinions most welcome

Thanks in advance

gus

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
It is wired into the logic board, can't do anything about it

OP
G

gus

trpnmonkey41 said:
It is wired into the logic board, can't do anything about it

Thanks for the prompt response. Time to invent a plan 'B'. Perhaps a USB Controlled LED (I play with PIC uControllers as well - USB Microchip ).

Thanks

gus

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.