Mac Mail 4.1 and Gmail, Exchange

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to setup my Gmail account, as well as a Microsoft Exchange 2007 account, in Mac Mail on Snow Leopard on my new macbook. When I enter my Gmail information for IMAP, I am able to connect to the send mail server, but not able to receive mail. When setting up the account I receive an error message saying:

"The Gmail IMAP server “imap.gmail.com” is not responding. Try checking the network connection, and that the server name is correct. Otherwise, the server might be temporarily unavailable. If you continue, you might not be able to receive messages."

The same thing happens when I try setting up my Exchange account. Any suggestions on what may be wrong?

Thanks.

Reaction score
I'm having the same trouble with my Mail Program and Gmail account. Hopefully someone out there knows how to solve it. Good luck.

OP
A
Reaction score
Gmail and Macmail

I recently noticed that, regarding this issue, my MacMail opens with my Gmail account fine when I am on the wireless network at the university I attend, however it will not connect to the gmail server when I am at home. I've never changed the settings for my home network or blocked anything... does anyone know more about what could be causing this or how to go about fixing it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.53GHz MacBook Pro 4Gb & MacBook 1.1 250Gb HDD Leopard 2Gb Ram
Did you manage to resolve this? I am unable to set up my Exchange Server on Mail 4.2 but succeeded with Entourage, but I want use Mail.

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. I have three gmail accounts. One account can not send or receive mail in Mac Mail. I can access my mail on the website just fine. I have not changed anything on my computer. The gmail worked fine in the morning. I left the computer for several hours and when I returned, the one gmail account no longer worked. I have contacted Apple Care and they could not fix it either. Help

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
Not to sound like an idiot, but did you go to gmail support pages and follow their instructions? Oddly enough they suggest specify settings that are different than the defaults that Mail will insert.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.