Changing the Name of the Mac

Reaction score
So I just got a new laptop, the MacBook Pro, and my brother started it up and put information into it, and now the Mac identifies itself by his name. Obviously, I changed the name of the admin from his to mine, but the header in Finder is still [home icon] and then his name (you know what I mean? The little picture of the house and then the name of the mac?).

Is there anyway to change the name the Mac identifies itself by?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro, 2.26ghz, 2GB RAM; 17" IMAC G5, 160 GB HD, 2.5 GB RAM, built in iSight,
Not that I know of. Your best bet is to just create a new account. This goes all the way back the Unix days (osx is built on unix) you never want to rename an account.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
J
Reaction score
OK, now I have another question.

I thought I followed everything that that link told me to do, but I think I messed up switching the files from the one user to this one.

Because I just copied one of the files in the old user, and replaced the file in the new user with that one, and so on with all the main files (Desktop, documents, library, music, movies, pictures, public, and sites. I think that's all of them, anyway). I copied all of those one by one from the old user and used them to replace the files in the new user so that I could have all my files on my new user.

But now that I'm on the new user, when I try to open one of those files it says "You do not have permission to see the contents of this folder." And I've already made this new user an Admin.

How do I fix that?

EDIT: Never mind, I got it. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.