Trying to read hard drive form Powerbook G4

Reaction score
I have a 7 yr old Macbook G4 that won't boot anymore after it was dropped. I have determined the hard drive still works so I took it out and put it into a sata enclosure and tried to read the files but cant. Do I need to upgrade the formatting or put this into an older Mac (if I can find one). I suspect this laptop was using an older file system format (and no, I don't know what OS version the G4 was running). Any help or ideas would really be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Does the dropped G4 power up at all?
If so you could put the drive back into it and boot in Target Disc mode to get at the files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
Every version of Mac OS X uses some form of HFS formatting, so as long as you use another Mac to read the disk, it shouldn't be the problem. You may want to check if the partition is corrupt or the hard drive itself is broken. You can do this by plugging in the hard drive and checking a disk utility program and see if the disk is recognizable (Disk Utility in Mac OS X and Computer Management under Windows).

Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.