• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Brand New MacBook Pro not compatible with Final Cut Express

Reaction score
I loaded Final Cut Express on my new mac and got this:

Final Cut Express requires that your system have a Quartz Extreme capable video card.

My current Display on my MBP:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0863
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3436
gMux Version: 1.7.10
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:

Does that really mean I cannot use FC Express on this machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
No, it's fine. It will work just fine. FCE will give a lot of grief with intel gma chipsets, but works quite happily on newer macs with 9400m. granted, you *might* find a feature somewhere that *may* not work, but I use both FCE and FCP on my macbook that has a 9400m and on my mini that has a 9400m (that is, until I put the mini as my home theater) and they both work fine, SD, HD, transitions, adjustments, etc. all worked fine for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Uni. 2.4/4GB/320GB/9600mGT 256MB
yo, i saw that your resolution is 1920x1200... so is it a 17 in MBP? You don't have the 9600m GT graphics card enabled, only the far less capable 9400m. Go into system preferences, click on "energy saver", and at the top select "higher performance," it will cue a window asking you to log out. Just do that and it will log back in with the better graphics card enabled.

So when you use Final Cut, it should process video, effects, etc. much faster. Good luck =)

-quinn

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.