Can't upgrade to 10.5

Reaction score
PowerBook G4
1.25 Ghz
1 Gb Ram
125 Gb HD

Currently running 10.4.11
I am trying to upgrade my PB and when I go thur the install with the new 10.5 disc it tells me it can not be installed on this machine.... Can anyone tell me why?
As far as I know my systems meets all the requirements.:\

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is the install disk you're using grey/silver, or black with a big X on it?

If you're using the grey/silver disks...they are model specific, and won't work with your computer.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks. The disks that I have are gray. I bought them off ebay and I thought I was getting the retail version. I want worried they wouldn't work being imac discs..... Guess thats what I get.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks. The disks that I have are gray. I bought them off ebay and I thought I was getting the retail version. I want worried they wouldn't work being imac discs..... Guess thats what I get.

Yes...I'm sure the price on them was very attractive! Many folks fall into this trap...later to find out that the disks don't work with their computer.

Pretty much the only way that they will work is if you use them on the same computer model that they shipped with...and even though they are labeled for an "iMac" (and you were using them on a laptop)...there is certainly no guarantee that they will work on all iMacs! There are lots of different iMacs out there.

Sorry,:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And advising folk to only purchase the black coloured full retail install discs, and not the silver grey model specific discs, only appears in these forums on a daily basis yet eBay sellers still manage to move them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.