Running XP via Fusion, but I'd rather boot up in Windows. What now?

Reaction score
It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure I used Boot Camp to install Windows XP. I currently use VM Ware Fusion to launch it, but it's just too slow and since it doesn't take much time to boot up in general... I'd rather just have the option of either booting up in Windows or OS X. I'm not sure what I need to to, though. I'm guessing I should remove Fusion, but since I already installed XP ... do I need to do it again? If so, what are the steps?

Thanks...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You're using Fusion to boot your Boot Camp partition in a virtual machine, rather than having installed it to a virtual hard disk. I've found that to cause performance issues in and of itself. Fortunately, there's no need to do anything but hold the Option key immediately after powering on and selecting to boot from the Boot Camp partition. You can remove Fusion if you wish, it shouldn't make a difference.

T

todd51

I would highly consider using rEFIt which is a little boot manager that will allow you to pick what OS you want to boot to when turning the computer on. You won't have to hold down the Option key every time you want to boot to XP.

Reaction score
I suppose this may be obvious but I would be sure to doublecheck that you actually have a Boot Camp partition with Windows on it before deleting Fusion - otherwise you may lose it all. Cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.