• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Ive been brought up on PC's why should i change?

S

SuperShaun

Since i was old enough to turn my Dad's PC on ive never been of it.
I play all my games, surf the web, listen to music(rip mp3's), Copy games*coughs*, watch my pr0n :eek: . I couldnt see any advantage that id gain by having a Mac, besides the fact that they look 100% cooler(The newer ones anyway).I dont do any graphics design or anything that demading on my PC so i do use it to its full potential. I'm here to be told that im wrong as id like to get the new G5 as we just got it in work but i cant justify the money right now, with out good reason :( .

Thanx in advance from a complete Mac Neewbie. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Actually in reality.. even though I love macs.. from what you do.. you could do on any computer, any platform.. the mac is just plain easier, but if you are already doing those things on your current computer.. it doesnt sound like you really need to upgrade anything. Save your money until your computer currently cant do everything you want it to.. then upgrade.. and upgrade to a mac.. you'll be extremely pleased.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
i agree with murlyn except for ease of use you would not really need to convert

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
That's the same thing I was going to say. I mean really, it isn't a "which one's better" both Mac OS and Windows do pretty much the same thing. So in reality it's just how you want to work with it. If you are getting satisfaction out of your PC then go ahead and stick with it.

Us Mac users aren't like PC users. I mean, really, we could care less which one you use, but trust me, if you get a Mac, you'll love it.

sKaD

OP
F

Fomer

Well I might just be a little newish, but I don't really find macs easier, more fun? Of course! More customizable? Absoutly! But the easier thing, I am having a hard time accepting, may just be because windows has rotted my brain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
fomer thats what i thought when i first switched but it takes about 2 weeks and you will be accustomed

OP
F

Fomer

trpnmonkey41 said:
fomer thats what i thought when i first switched but it takes about 2 weeks and you will be accustomed
Cheers! :) I finally figured out konfab, so I am feeling more up on my mac. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Besides ease of use, macs are much better for multi tasking. Try ripping a CD, while downloading something offline and playing a game on a PC and compare that to a mac. If youre on the computer a lot, youll notice a difference in how much you can do at a time. So a mac would help you be more productive.

Another thing, the myth that macs are only better for graphics is a myth that died with mac os 9. If youve ever played with OS X, youll know what im talking about.

I would reccomend using your pc and dont upgrade anything on it until it starts getting slower and slower, then switch to a mac.

OP
S

SuperShaun

Ok thanx for the advice. Ive got a 3200xp Athlon so it wont be to slow for a while ;)
You will see my name on here from time to time asking for advice as the cutomers we get are asking me questions that i have no idea about, so i'll ask you orrible lot :p . I might try to get a cheap Mac of E-bay or something like that just so i can have a look.

OP
D

dziner

No Viruses! Well, atleast not many. I'd like to see a list of viruses for OS X. I laugh everytime we get a virus here at work. I sit back and say "I told you so." Our IT department can't even keep 'em out.

To me the Mac is so much easier to use - but I've been on a Mac since college and that's what I know how to use. I've been working on a PC at work for over a year and I'm still stumped on why things get all screwy. Like why my system slows down a great bit if I set a jpg file as my desktop. Something about it using Active Desktop. Anyways, my ex-girlfriend bought a 12" Powerbook and converted back to a Mac user. At first she said she hated it - but after she got all the bad stuff Microsoft brainwashes you with using Windows out of her head - she finds it so much easier to use. Things just seem to work the way you'd expect. And Konfabulator is awesome! KlipFolio for the PC just doesn't even compare!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
*** is Konfabulator?

sKaD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
http://www.konfabulator.com

It's the kewlest little utitlity that has a whole bunch of mini modules/applications written for it.. wrote one myself! :)

Tech News Feed.. check it out on the site :)

OP
D

dziner

Konfabulator

sKaD said:
*** is Konfabulator?

sKaD

Konfabulator is a pretty cool app. You launch Konfabulator, then open what is called Widgets which are little micro apps. There are some that fetch the latest forums or newposts like Slashdot, some give you the weather in a cool graphic way on your desktop, some that pull images from National Geographic and display them in a cute window on your desktop (which you can then set as your desktop with a quick click, and then there's cool games like Battleship and Tic-Tac-Toe. You can download it at konfabulator.com.

OP
F

Fomer

dziner said:
Konfabulator is a pretty cool app. You launch Konfabulator, then open what is called Widgets which are little micro apps. There are some that fetch the latest forums or newposts like Slashdot, some give you the weather in a cool graphic way on your desktop, some that pull images from National Geographic and display them in a cute window on your desktop (which you can then set as your desktop with a quick click, and then there's cool games like Battleship and Tic-Tac-Toe. You can download it at konfabulator.com.

I only use weather so far.... Murlyn or anyone else got any others you suggest I try? There's too many to search through. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i enjoy konfabulator i just need to find some more useful widgets for me to use

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
These are the ones that I use:

The Weather (Shows the weather for one day or a week)
Check Widgits (checks new and updated widgits)
Tech News Feed (Mac Technology news) (Which I will be renaming in the next release)
Version Tracker (See the new software for mac os x as it is released)
What To Do (a To Do list)

Plus I use others once in awhile, but those are my main ones that I use.

OP
D

dziner

I had a widget that checks for GeoCache sites near you. There were actually a bunch near me that I never would have imagined (I live in the rural central pennsylvania). The National Geographic one is cool for displaying photos. And my new fav is the Werewold Monitor. It basically just displays the phase of the moon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.