Uninstalling Applications

Reaction score
Is there a general catch all when it comes to uninstalling applications in OS X? Windows has its add/remove programs feature, but is there a Mac uquivilent. I don't think simply moving the app from the app folder to the trashcan is the same as uninstalling.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Well, dragging it from the trash is effectively the same as uninstalling in windows. and that's because in windows, it leaves behind bits and pieces of the application,but just a whole lot more than OS X leaves behind.

To do A REAL complete "Get RID OF" -
Before you have trashed the app - do a search for the app name, delete any corresponding folders, files, (such as preference files) and the application itself

If you have already trashed the app - the same search, only the application will not turn up in the search.

Honestly, just dragging the app to the trash is what i do because, these files are SO SMALL! Just leave em' there incase you need the app again, all you settings are still there.!

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks

ApplejustWorks said:
Well, dragging it from the trash is effectively the same as uninstalling in windows. and that's because in windows, it leaves behind bits and pieces of the application,but just a whole lot more than OS X leaves behind.

To do A REAL complete "Get RID OF" -
Before you have trashed the app - do a search for the app name, delete any corresponding folders, files, (such as preference files) and the application itself

If you have already trashed the app - the same search, only the application will not turn up in the search.

Honestly, just dragging the app to the trash is what i do because, these files are SO SMALL! Just leave em' there incase you need the app again, all you settings are still there.!

I didn't figure it could be just that simple. It must be just leftover pessimism from my Windoze days (six months ago). Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.