Adobe to acquire Macromedia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I thought everyone might like to see this.. this has some huge consequences.. and Im not sure I like it or not.. I lean towards not liking it though.. no competition, equals higher prices and not as good of a product :(

Adobe.com said:
Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq: ADBE) has announced a definitive agreement to acquire Macromedia (Nasdaq: MACR) in an all-stock transaction valued at approximately $3.4 billion.
Read More...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I agree, it was bad when macromedia bought corel, well, corel apps saw some improvement, I don't use macromedia much, except some flash and fireworks, but freehand is a poor excuse for a vector application compared to illustrator, this could mean big changes, though adobe apps are fine for now, and really do need competition. the creative suite is already priced fairly high, no competition will not b good for the consumer.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I just saw it on a website too, pretty interesting. That's sure did come out of the blue. But you're right about "no competition, equals higher prices and not as good of a product". If you think about it, the same goes for Microsoft.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm not happy about it. No competition is bad. Not to mention the people that design Adobe's UI totally must be blind, mentally dysfunctional idiots. I have never in my life seen such a convoluted excuse for a UI in a modern application from a serious company.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*rofl* Wow schweb! Why don't you tell us how you really feel! :) Interesting.. I never found it that bad... but then again I only use Photoshop from Adobe.. so Im not real familiar with their UI.. I use a whole lot more Macromedia stuff though.. I really really hope that they do not actually merge the products, but instead continue with the different lines with different people.. it'll be interesting though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yea, like when macromedia bought corel a while back, they continued marketing and such corel products, and adobe uses the same ui in all apps, so if you like photoshop, youd like illustrator, indesign, acrobat, etc.

S

sophisto

what will apple do?

i wonder how apple react to this news. on the mac platform, they are the only software developer that competes with adobe when it comes to video and motion graphics at the prosumer level. i hear rumors that the relationship between the two have been rocky, and adobe stopped developing premiere for os x a little while back because of apple and final cut pro. could apple make a move into the publishing world too? it might not be that unconvincing, since apple and adobe both lay claim to the pdf format... and of course there is always corevideo, which may revolutionize the way things like photoshop style filters are applied in realtime because of modern, powerful video cards.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's definitely possible, but Im sure it'll be way way in the future, so up until that time Adobe can continue banking on Mac customers. I personally do not care much for Apple software, except for the OS.. most everything else I do not use.. their UI is great, but functionality wise.. they lack in many many areas, again when it comes to software. OS X is awesome for UI and functionality.. Which basically is a long winded way of saying that Adobe is far ahead in functionality with their software, at least most of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I don't know, I always liked the Adobe UI, and hated the Macromedia one. I've been using Macromedia Studio MX, and Creative Suite CS.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Very interesting premiss.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.