169 IP/No connection?

Reaction score
I recently reinstalled my OS on my Macbook, and now it will only connect when it is without security. I have tried both WEP and WPA configurations, and it won't connect with either. I have a 2WIRE modem/router, and they say that I need to figure out why I can only connect without encryption, which according to the guy would be an Apple problem.

On the WEP configuration, it shows that I am connecting, but the IP address begins with 169 which is apparently a problem.

I have contacted both the ISP and 2WIRE support without any real answers. I'm pretty new to Mac and pretty stupid about all the settings stuff. Any help is appreciated!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Not that i will be much help to you but there are a number of Forum threads that say it is a good idea to forget WEP - it is not secure and being used less and less these days. Now u might have to do a bit of google ing on 2 wire as i have read of difficulties with those units and it would need somebody conversant with them to advise you and that is not me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
I have a small WEP2 key on my wireless network , but i have MAC Address Filtering enabled. Takes a little while to get all the MAC Address' typed into the router, but its well worth it, NOONE can get into my network. Pretty secure in my book. Besides that, i have my SSID not broadcasting either.

I feel pretty safe.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have a small WEP2 key on my wireless network , but i have MAC Address Filtering enabled. Takes a little while to get all the MAC Address' typed into the router, but its well worth it, NOONE can get into my network. Pretty secure in my book. Besides that, i have my SSID not broadcasting either.

I feel pretty safe.

You are "pretty safe" from your typical neighbor.

However, I could never recommend such a setup to anyone.
Not broadcasting your SSID is only safe from passive sniffers.
An Active Sniffer can determine that in a few minutes.
Cracking WEP is also a matter of 5-10 minutes work.
Once both of the above are done, there really is nothing to spoofing a MAC address.

Read an article some 4 or 5 years ago now, where the FBI had demonstrated cracking such a network in 3 minutes.

WEP2 only slows down the active hacker another few minutes.

All of which has nothing to do with the OP's question.

To the OP, you should provide which MacBook you have, the version of OS X you're using and the model of the 2Wire modem.

OP
C
Reaction score
I am using the 13" Macbook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and am running Mac OS X 10.5. The 2WIRE is a Wireless-G 802.11 ADSL Gateway and shows up as 2WIRE087 as the network name.

Thanks again for any help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.