Creating pdf's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro1,1, 2007 + MacBook Pro 15"
When creating pdf's, is there any way to set the default location where it would put the file? It would be nice if I could put the pdf that I am creating in the same location as the file that I am making the pdf from.
Thanks,
Chuck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
When you choose "Save As PDF" in your print dialog, the pop-up window says "SaveAs" and you give it a name. Next to that box is an arrow. Yours is probably pointing down. Click it, and it will point up, and reveal the folder structure. This gives you the option of selecting any folder you desire. With the arrow pointing down, the "Where" option will not allow you to "drill down" into your folders. It just lets you pick from a list of Recent Places, as well as the Places listed in the sidebar of your finder windows.

An alternative would be to add Places to your sidebar, if you want quick access to certain folders. Just find the folder and drag it over to the Places area of any sidebar. That will add it to all sidebars.

OP
cwatson69
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro1,1, 2007 + MacBook Pro 15"
That much I knew. As an example of what I am wanting to do - when I have a document open and I want to create a pdf file, I open the file structure as you have described. But what is not shown is the current folder that document is in. I have to drill down to the folder that that document is in. What I am wanting to find out is there any way to have it by default open the folder that the document is in.
Chuck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, that's what I thought you wanted to know after reading your first sentence. But, when I read the rest of it, I wasn't so sure. Sorry.

I have not been able to figure out any logic behind where the Save dialog box is pointing when it first opens up. Just now, I tried to save as PDF, and it pointed to the folder the file was in. Usually, that's not the case in my experience. I have not found a setting to define a default location, but it would be nice if "in the folder where the file (not an alias!) is located" could be set. I'm using Leopard, and I've never found such an option, or any other for that matter. Perhaps Snow Leopard addresses it. (?)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.