Bootcamp partition too small for Windows 7 upgrade

Reaction score
I partitioned my iMac disc with Bootcamp and loaded Vista home premium a couple of years ago. I'm now trying to upgrade to Windows 7 and I'm getting a message that my partition is too small to accommodate the upgrade files. I can't do a clean install of Windows 7 because I bought the "upgrade" version (at least I'm assuming that's the case).

I'm going to clean out unneeded software and data from the Windows partition of the disc, but assuming that doesn't free up enough space, is there a way to re-partition the disk through Bootcamp that doesn't involve losing all of the data on the Windows partition. In other words, can I reallocate some space away from Mac OS and onto Windows, or do I have to start from square 1?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Download and use "CampTune" from Paragon Software. It's free and will non destructively increase or decrease the size of your Boot Camp partition.

Regards.

Reaction score
Camp-Tune may be a good app to do this with...

Hope this helps:)

edit: well, well, isn't this great...:) lol

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Gotta be quick if you want to beat chscag to the draw. :Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.