Preview problem

S

Steel02001

Umm, so I have a few pdf's that I have to read for class that I downloaded and everytime I try to open them preview opens then stops responding. I have never had a problem like this before, actually, i think this is my actual first problem with my mac.

It has always worked before and I have done this numerous times. Any ideas?

There are three seperate documents I have to read and it wont open any of them. I also tried just opening the program alone and it also stops responding when not opening any document.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Try downloading Abode Acrobat in the mean time. Have you tried opening other pdf's not related to those particular files? It might just be those particular files that are giving Preview a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Have you tried repairing permissions?

OP
S

Steel02001

Yep, have tried both of your suggestions.

Does preview do anything else other than open pdf's? Will this affect anything else?

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

preview works for all these files. JPG, GIF, TIF, PSD, PICT, PNG, BMP, and SGI.
as asked above... do any other PDF's work... if this is then maybe the pdf is corrupted. and preview is not at fault..
EDIT: sorry mis read ur question

I have never seen any other program use Preview. So this should not affect any tthing else.

Try taking you bundeled sfotware CD and reinstalling Preview from tehre maybe this will fix the probelm

OP
S

Steel02001

Does anyone think I could leave this alone until I get tiger and that will fix the problem, or is that not the route to take?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i think that if you get arcobat reader you will be fine.

Reaction score
Steel02001 said:
Does anyone think I could leave this alone until I get tiger and that will fix the problem, or is that not the route to take?

well if u arent satified with Acrobat Reader, then get tiger to solve your problem. But i recommend u wait till its at atleast 10.4.1 jsut so some bugs are fixed. if u are satisfied with Acrobat Reader and stillw ant tiger, then GO FOR IT !!!! :)

good luck

OP
S

Steel02001

Well I have acrobat reader now but I still want preview to work. I looked in the disks that came with the powerbook and I cant find anything that just installs preview. Is it under another heading or something that I just cant find in the software bundles?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You need to use Pacifier to open up the individual install packages on the disks...
Then you can locate the package that just installs Preview and can copy it from there.

You can find pacifier on versiontracker.com

OP
S

Steel02001

I deleted the prefrences to fix this problem.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I thought I would get this easy fix out there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.