Why doesn't Mail block??

Reaction score
Trying to block one individual (who sends 30-40 emails forwards a day - most of which he has already sent at least once before). Marked them as Junk and then Bounced them but they keep coming. Took him out of my address book - and they keep coming! What do I have to do to correct this?? Running Snow Leopard. Thanks in advance!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Can't really block a sender from inside most mail apps, need the ISP to do that.

You can have them auto deleted though.

In Mail - Preferences - Rules - Add Rule - give it a description like 'Blocked' or something

On that first row of drop downs - 'From' - 'Is Equal To' - then put in the email address of the sender you want to block

2nd row, change to: 'Delete Message' and hit OK

OP
PapaNoHair
Reaction score
Thank you! I had it configured wrong - appreciate the help. Still can't figure out why hitting "junk" and "bounce" did not automatically block him out though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Still can't figure out why hitting "junk" and "bounce" did not automatically block him out though.
Lots of junk mail has a bad "from" address. Most of my spam actually comes from "me." Automatically blocking the "from" address would block lots of legitimate messages.

Instead, the Junk filter tries to learn to recognize junk mail based on the message content itself. Which is hit-or miss.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.