iCal Question

S

Steel02001

For those of you that have seen me around know I am new, first mac yada yada yada. It seems that iCal has confused me beyond belief.

Other than just being a calendar does it do anything if I dont set an alarm? I know this seems broad but what I am saying is does it do reminders on its own, or is it just like I am writingon my calendar at home and have to look at it to remember anything? What are some features on it?

So far I can add events and thats about all I have mastered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well iCal is a calendar app so pretty much all it does is store appointments, etc. You can also have it store ToDos and things.

Anything in particular you're looking for it to do?

As for alarms...yes those will still go off even if iCal is not running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
It will do alarms even when closed (There is a small app always running that keeps track of those alarms)

You can set it to remind you by e-mails, a pop-up message on the computer, opening a file (very useful if you are putting off some finishing touches on a paper).

You can add attendees to the event from your address book (Useful if you need to e-mail everybody you know who will be at an event)

There is also a To Do section which you can set the due date.

Most of these are accessible in the Event Window and the To Do Window

To open the event window (It probably is already) press Apple + I
To open the To Do window press Alt/Option + Apple + T

You can also just go to Window at the top and open them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Yeah, it's pretty much a basic calendar program with a few nice features thrown in, and like was already said, it will show you announcements even if it is closed.

OP
S

Steel02001

Thanks all. The help is appreciated.

I had been playing with it like all day.

One last question.

If I have a reminder set up (a message with sound to be specific) and I either have the computer turned off or it is asleep, will the reminder just pop up next time the computer is on and awake or did I miss the reminder and am SOL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I am pretty sure that it will pop up....might as well give it a test

OP
S

Steel02001

Yep, it just popped up later.

BTW, sorry for all the back-to-back posts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
There are also programs that can set up iCal to play music at a certain time so you can use your mac as an alarm clock... (you can have it set so that it wakes up at a certain time...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yea, I use ical's alarms, if you sync your ipod, it syncs alarms too, and the ipod beeps and displays a message when your alarm goes off, I never knew the ipod could do that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.