Connecting xbox 360 wireless to airport extreme

Reaction score
We're unable to connect our xbox 360 to our home wireless network (airport extreme). We keep getting IP errors on the xbox end. We use Comcast and they don't assign a perm IP address. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Can you give us a little more info:

Are you using the official xbox adaptor? If not what are you using?

How is you wireless network configured on the Airport Extreme (b and g, N, 2.4ghz, 5ghz etc)?

Does it work OK if you connect using a LAN cable?

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi there - hopefully this helps. Obvs we're not super technical.
It's an official xbox wireless adapter.
Our airport is an airport extreme 802.11n Gigabit Ethernet.
No router.
And yes, it does work with we connect with an Ethernet cable.

It seems the xbox wireless adapter and the airport don't want to talk to each other. We don't have any problems getting other devices to connect to the wireless network.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
For info your Airport Extreme is a router.

But that aside I suspect your Airport is running an N rated network but your xbox adaptor is only capable of connecting to G rated networks.

Run the Airport Utility on your mac. Go to Manual Setup - Wireless Tab and make sure the Radio Mode is set to 802.11n (802.11b/g compatible)

Then click Update.

Give the Airport a minute a 'adjust' then retry your xbox connection

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.