• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Movie-like dimensions?

Reaction score
I've made a little animation and i want to burn ito onto a disc to view on my samsung tv. However, every time i burn something, it fits onto the screen vertically (actually a bit over it as well), not horizontally, and I'm using 16:9. It's like it's zoomed :(. I want it to fit it onto my tv screen horizontally like actual movies. Is there a way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Question for you:
does the picture go all the way edge to edge as well, and cuts off the sides? if it does:

Check your TV (or receiver if you have a receiver sitting between your dvd player and your TV converting the signal from the dvd player to HDMI) settings - most widescreen TVs have a variety of display modes, including:
full,
fit,
zoom,
etc.
It sounds like your TV is set to one of the zoom modes to make it fit the top and bottom of the TV.

OP
M
Reaction score
nope didn't help :(

It was on 16:9 and the rest of the the settings wasn't what I was looking for either :S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
It sounds like the material and the TV are 16:9. Correct me if I'm wrong.

How does the movie look like when played back in QuickTime Player? When using Info command of QT, what are the dimensions? How does it look when the burned DVD is played using DVD Player in OS X? Are you in a NTSC or PAL country and have you chosen the right one when creating the DVD? Did you choose 16:9 for the project in iDVD?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.