Can I link my Mac Book Pro to my Mac Mini?

Reaction score
I have a MBP and my father has a mac mini. Instead of using a wireless mouse and keyboard to control the mini, i thought there might be a way to link the two. My goal is to be able to control the mac mini through my MBP. Is that possible or am i ahead of the times? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
You can go to System Preferences > Sharing and then go through the list and read what each thing does. Screen sharing will let you do what you're asking I think. You will have to open the same sharing options on both your MBP and your father's Mac Mini. Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
There is a program SynergyX I don't know if they ported it to snow leopard but I used to use it. It allows you to use a single keyboard and mouse on 2 computers, in real time.

OP
C
Reaction score
There is a program SynergyX I don't know if they ported it to snow leopard but I used to use it. It allows you to use a single keyboard and mouse on 2 computers, in real time.

Thanks but what im aiming for is to control my mini wirelessly through my MBP. I posted in the mini form and someone told me to use Apple remote desktop, but is there a way to do it for free (broke college student :D )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Did you try my method or will it not work for you? Or am I invisible?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks but what im aiming for is to control my mini wirelessly through my MBP. I posted in the mini form and someone told me to use Apple remote desktop, but is there a way to do it for free (broke college student :D )

What version of OSX is installed on both systems? If it's 10.5 Leopard or 10.6 Snow Leopard, they have Apple Remote Desktop as part of the OS now. Do what ImageX suggested. I control 10 Macs that way all from my iMac desktop.

As long as the MBP has 10.5 or 10.6 you are set even if the Mini has Tiger 10.4 installed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.