problem with external monitors

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
ok well you are not quite finished with me yet then bud...

I even called up Apple, put me through higher level tech.. had me download and install Adobe Flash because they thought it might uniquely use another sound app and I STILL can't hear sound on my Mac for that site. Get sound for You Tube, Isync.. but not Rotten Tomatoe!!! :((

It's a mystery!!

I'm not really sure what can be wrong. I haven't installed or removed anything special from my MacBook Pro...and the Rotten Tomato site trailers run great...with sound!:)

Maybe you have an application of some sort that is installed on your computer that is having some sort of conflict with the site.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm.. going to have to try other sites with sound and see what's up!

If you were having sound problems with other websites...I would have suggested maybe it was a "setting" or "preference" issue...but a problem with just one website is a bit more complex.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
juuuuuuust one web site as far as I can tell!! And the Rotten Tomatoes site is THE movie web site for me :(

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If it's only doing it on that site - my first guess is that you have turned the volume all the way down on there. The volume setting is saved in the cookie from one visit to the next. If you've done that, you would get no sound there, but still have sound on every other site you visit.

20091028-dp73w26r4js1nsdxukqm1fxjwu.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's only doing it on that site - my first guess is that you have turned the volume all the way down on there. The volume setting is saved in the cookie from one visit to the next. If you've done that, you would get no sound there, but still have sound on every other site you visit.

That would be a pretty awesome solution to the problem...and makes lots of sense!

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
hmmm.. there may be something to this...

so here is what happened.. I was on the phone with Apple tech who was trying to help me with monitor problem.. when I told him about the web site, he checked his computer and said that on his apple, when he hit that speaker icon, he would get the typical slider with up and down notch for raising and lowering the volume.. .. but when I hit on the speaker.. all that happens is that the sound wave that comes out of the speaker is there or disappears, indicating that the sound is either on or muted... the little square box did nothing when i clicked on it.. so it seemed like i could either have speaker on or off.. but no VOLUME control. the mac guy said he had volume control...

have i taken off the volume control on some cookie so i can't control the volume anymore on the current web page?? and if so, what can i do about it??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.