Deleting large amounts of songs from iTunes.

V

Volt

I have about 4,000 songs in iTunes, I only care for about 400 of them, the rest I would like to delete.

This could be a big project. What is the best (easiest and fastest) way to go about sorting the 400 that I want to keep and deleting the rest.

I wish I was able to Uncheck the songs that I want to keep and then delete the remaining songs that have the Check next to them, but that doesn't seem to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
Actually you can do it that way, though it's a tad less straightforward. Once you have all the songs you want to keep checked, create a new Smart Playlist with a criteria that will match everything (like Bit Rate is greater than 0) and Check the Match only checked items box. Name that playlist something like Checked and then make a new Smart Playlist. For this one, make the criteria that the Playlist is not Checked (or whatever you named it), and don't check the Match only checked items this time. This playlist will have everything that isn't checked in it, so you can delete items from there.

(Technique came from here.)

OP
V

Volt

Actually you can do it that way, though it's a tad less straightforward. Once you have all the songs you want to keep checked, create a new Smart Playlist with a criteria that will match everything (like Bit Rate is greater than 0) and Check the Match only checked items box. Name that playlist something like Checked and then make a new Smart Playlist. For this one, make the criteria that the Playlist is not Checked (or whatever you named it), and don't check the Match only checked items this time. This playlist will have everything that isn't checked in it, so you can delete items from there.

(Technique came from here.)

So if you delete them from the playlist, it will delete them from the computer as well?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
So if you delete them from the playlist, it will delete them from the computer as well?

Thanks!

I think so. It should prompt you whether you want to remove it from only the library or also from your computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.