Loud Fans on iMac G5 w/ 10.3.9

Reaction score
I upgraded OSX Panther to 10.3.9 this morning, and throughout the day I've been noticing that my fans have been louder then they were before the update. Is this supposed to happen? Maybe it's because my computer has been on all day?

M

menace3054

my gf
s imac is extremely loud, i think thats just how they are. probably also since its hotter lately

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Mine isn't load at all.. so no that's not how they are. My powerbook is loader than my iMac G5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I would probably have to say that it is just coincidence that you noticed the fans being louder after the update. It is more likely that since the computer has been on, it has just started to heat up a bit. Do you have a CD running in the drive? What programs are running? If there are quite a few, or if you are running some real proc heavy apps, it may be causing the computer to work harder, thus making the internal components hotter, which in turn would kick the fans up.
It most likely is nothing to worry about, unless it keeps up or gets any worse. You might also want to check to see if there is anything nearby that could be adding to the heat. Try shutting the computer down for a while and see if the fans kick on like that right away when you boot it back up.

C

code777

mine sound the same with 10.3.9 - gets louder when in iMovie/iDVD or when doing a lot of downloading/processing work.

Reaction score
my fans were louder after the 10.3.9 update too. i just repaired permissions and resarted. everything has been fine since.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.