networkadapter for iBook (600mhz)

E

Egon

I've had my laptop for almost 2 years. In that time I have damaged the onboard ethernet port.

I've gotten around the problem by tilting the cable up a bit and getting a network connection.

But I need another solution, and one that does not require an Airport card and station.

I have tried a USB network adapter, but found that OS 10.2.6 gave me no method of using it.

Is there a USB network adapter out there that I can use?

I've looked around at a variety of Brands: Linksys, D-Link, SMC to name a few. None of them support mac.

An Apple support tech suggested Farallon Ind., but they have been bought out by a Wireless company and the Farallon product isn't available.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I guess, eBay?

Are you sure that Linksys doesn't support macintosh? Because I use a few Linksys products.

Does that iBook have a Firewire port ( I can't rem the stats of that book very well ) Because there may be a way to get a firewire internet connection.

OP
E

Egon

Graphite said:
I guess, eBay?

Are you sure that Linksys doesn't support macintosh? Because I use a few Linksys products.

Does that iBook have a Firewire port ( I can't rem the stats of that book very well ) Because there may be a way to get a firewire internet connection.

There are no drivers on the Linksys website. And I think I read somewhere there was no support for Mac.

I haven't seen anything for firewire either.

OP
H

hokiethang

Egon said:
There are no drivers on the Linksys website. And I think I read somewhere there was no support for Mac.

I haven't seen anything for firewire either.

If you have another machine with a firewire port you could use IP over firewire. Im not sure how apple has implemented it in os x (as i have never tried it), but I have used it in windows between two machines that move data frequently.

OP
E

Egon

hokiethang said:
If you have another machine with a firewire port you could use IP over firewire. Im not sure how apple has implemented it in os x (as i have never tried it), but I have used it in windows between two machines that move data frequently.

Ok, I have a PC with a firewire port and the network connection. Ideally, it would be great if I could connect to the net via the firewire but I have a feeling that if it worked, the PC would just treat the iBook as another drive.

Never the less, it would be faster than trading files with a USB zip drive.

OP
H

hokiethang

Egon said:
Ok, I have a PC with a firewire port and the network connection. Ideally, it would be great if I could connect to the net via the firewire but I have a feeling that if it worked, the PC would just treat the iBook as another drive.

Never the less, it would be faster than trading files with a USB zip drive.

like i said, i have never tried it between mac and PC, but from PC to PC it works like a charm.

OP
H

hokiethang

MacAddikt said:
Apple IP over Firewire

home networking on a pc with firewire (outdated link removed)

hope those links help

the apple IP over Firewire link in the article provided doesn't work. It has been moved to the ADC site (access is free, you just have to cough up some info for apple). I haven't tried it out yet, but will do so as soon as I can.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.