What's the difference?

T

todd51

Just curious as to what the difference is between the AirPort Extreme Basestation and a regular wireless router? I noticed that the APEB is around $180. I did notice that it has a USB port for a networked drive, which most wireless routers do not have, but why would anyone need this over a normal home networking router?

Maybe I'm just stupid but I don't get it. Please explain it for me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Any wireless router would do the trick. Some have better performance. Some have more features. Some have neither. Some have both. Usually your Internet connection is the bottleneck anyway.

OP
T

todd51

Ok, I just didn't know if I was missing something obvious. So basically a lot of people get the AEB because of it's simplicity and the fact that it's an Apple product?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ok, I just didn't know if I was missing something obvious. So basically a lot of people get the AEB because of it's simplicity and the fact that it's an Apple product?

That and the print server/NAS capabilities. Otherwise it's pretty mediocre as far as routers go (IMO),

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would purchase a Airport Extreme in a hart beat but...

No SPI (Stateful packet inspection) in the Firewall.

Not even MAC cloning if you are on Cable and need it.

It's a nice router and has very good WiFi range and works seamlessly with Apple hardware and the NAS/Printer sharing is great.

But I will never pay that much for a router lacking in those and other important features. I am very picky about my Routers and Firewall.

Stateful firewall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I bought mine because I was on a 48 hour Apple product binge (a very dark time in my life). Looking back I might have bought something different. It has been very decent, but not exceptional.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
That and the print server/NAS capabilities. Otherwise it's pretty mediocre as far as routers go (IMO),

The AEB is the best router I ever owned. IF that says much about my past history with routers. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.