Going Legit

Reaction score
So I finally decided to do the right thing and purchase a program i've had pirated for a while (Propellerheads Reason). And upon trying to load up this new version it wont let me enter the new (valid) serial. It loads up every time with the old pirated serial.

I've deleted every Propellerheads file off of my computer, from the applications folder to the preferences folder, application support folder.

I contacted their support people and the only response i got was, "As long as you have uninstalled the previous version there should be no association with the old pirated license or software." They then explain that since i haven't registered my product they cant' help me more... but I don't want to register a pirated license number! That's why I haven't registered it.

How do i get rid of whatever is on my computer that's holding onto the old license number?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you sure you zapped everything? No plist you are missing?

OP
M
Reaction score
Are you sure you zapped everything? No plist you are missing?

99% sure. I went through manually and deleted anything pertaining to reason from the preferences, application support and of course applications folders. And i mean ALL of the application support folders i could find.

Then i downloaded some program removing programs. (AppZapper etc..) And still having the same problem.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Maybe try reinstalling the old one and then use AppZapper or equivalent and let it remove it. Since you did it manually AppZapper might not work.

OP
M
Reaction score
Maybe try reinstalling the old one and then use AppZapper or equivalent and let it remove it. Since you did it manually AppZapper might not work.

it's the same program... reinstalling it wont do anything. I obviously deleted the old version and all (i thought) associated files before i initially loaded up the new one from disk.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Does Reason come with an uninstaller? If it does, you need to use that.

OP
M
Reaction score
no provided uninstaller. The more i try the more confident i am that i got every associated file off of my computer before trying to reload it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you check the other Library, the one when you click on the main hard drive (not the one in username?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There has to be something somewhere you are missing. I searched google till my eyes hurt and can not find a thing so far about uninstalling reason. I will keep looking. There is no way it can remember that wrong code unless it's saved somewhere in OSX.

This is all they say about uninstalling! Amazing.

Upgrading vs. New Installations
If you are upgrading from a previous version, please note the following:
D
Our recommendation is that you uninstall the previous version before installing the new
one.
Under Windows, please use the Uninstall feature. Under Mac OS, just drag the program files to the
Trash. Uninstalling will ensure that there is no confusion between versions and that shortcuts and
aliases point to the right files etc.

That will not remove the configuration files.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Since I can't seem to find a set of uninstall instructions, tell us what directories you have looked in (all of them). Also, let us know what version of Reason you're using.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you checked in username/library and receipts? Also SoftwareLicenses?

And agree with Van, what version?

OP
M
Reaction score
is there a folder for SoftwareLicenses? where the heck is that!?!?

I've obviously deleted the folder from within applications.
then username>library>application support
then username>library>preferences
then HD>library>application support
then HD>library>preferences

then when using appzapper it pointed out the reciepts, which i thus deleted with all of the above.

dropped into the trash and hit empty trash. Right now i'm doing all the above with the ever so slow option of "secure empty trash"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SoftwareLicenses is on my system and I have a feeling it came from a Midi program I was helping a friend with called iPiano as that is the only License in that folder.

Let us know if the secure erase solves it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The secure erase shouldn't help. From what I know, it will just ensure that the files being deleted won't be recoverable. Whether you securely empty the trash or just "simply empty it" should be no different - the files are gone in both cases.

According to the Getting Started Guide (part of the complete documentation here) for version 4, uninstalling requires that you "just drag the program files to the Trash" (p. 10).

EDIT: I see dtravis7 added that to his earlier post. It seems that those instructions are the only ones we can find.

OP
M
Reaction score
could there be a hidden file somewhere?

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA found it

downloaded xMod searched through username>library>preferences and found a hidden file just titled "Reason"

man... two days of this i was about an hour from going MAD!

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. Really truly appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.