Macbook To Hdtv Size?

Reaction score
Hi ive just brought a dvi to hdmi cable for my macbook to get it on the big screen,when i plug in i lose the top and bottom of my macbook screen, is there a way of resizing? ive change to some lower resolutions and the problem gets worse? any tips anyone? cheers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Options:

1. On your Mac - System Preferences / Displays - I forget which tab off hand, last one on the right I think - turn off Overscan. This is going to give you bars on the top and bottom of the screen and possibly all 4 sides. This is the option I live with. Although, I don't connect my Mac much anymore since I'm now using a Win7 HTPC exclusively for this purpose.

2. Some TV's that have a dedicated DVI/HDMI port specifically for computers have a setting in their menu to turn off overscan when using a PC.

3. Get SwitchResX and play around with custom resolution settings until you find the one that works on your TV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.