Is it better to leave my display on or off??

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i'm new to the mac world, i just bought a mac pro, and i got the A1081 20in display, and i was just wondering, when i turn off my computer is it better to leave the display on? or should i just turn it off? I know when its in standby it has the white led light on, i just bought it so i want it to last, so if anyone can let me know whats best, that would be great...thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you're turning your computer off then might as well turn off your monitor while you're at it. No point in wasting power. Plus it might extend the life of the monitor for a while.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't believe I've turned a computer monitor off since I moved to LCD from CRT.

However, it's probably better to turn it off.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If you care for the the environment at all. Turn off all your electronics completely if you aren't using it. When they are on standby they are still using energy, and it's a huge waste of energy and money.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Many LCD monitors have a MTBF (mean time between failures) of like 50,000 to 100,000 hours. To be conservative let's say we took the 50,000 hour figure.

If you left your monitor on (I mean really on as if you were sitting in front of it) for 24 hours/day...it would take 5.7 years before you would reach 50,000 hours (11.4 years if we used the 100,000 hour figure).

Of course your not going to leave your monitor on 24 hours/day...in fact it may only be on a few hours/day. If you used your monitor 4 hours/day...you wouldn't reach the 50,000 hour figure for 34.2 years!!!

Of course there are other things that factor into the wear & tear on an LCD monitor...but believe me...unless you drop the monitor & break it. The monitor is going to last a long long time...and leaving that little white LED on when in standby mode will make very little difference.

Also, I'm willing to bet that you will probably upgrade to a larger monitor well before 34.2 years.;)

- Nick

p.s. Actually...if you pressed the power button on your monitor everytime you turned it off (so the little white LED would not be on)...you would probably wear out the power button much much faster than any additional wear & tear to the monitor by leaving the white LED on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.