Unrecognized Battery?

Reaction score
So, a few days ago, my MacBook (~2 yr old PlastiBook 10.4) randomly stopped recognizing my battery. When I opened it up from (what I thought was) sleep mode, it wouldn't start. I had to plug it in to get it to fire up, the charger was displaying a green light, and the battery indicator read "no batteries found". It will run (albeit a bit tempermentally) when plugged in, but its role is now that of a semi-portable desktop.

My battery was fine, however... It's the factory battery (about 2 years old now), but I've always taken care of it. Its charging cycles were normal, and still held the normal 3-4 hours of life. It will no longer give me any lights or response to a capacity check by pressing the little button, though.

I've tried removing the battery for a couple of days, rebooting the computer with and without the battery... just about everything I can think of short of a complete replacement. Has anyone ever had this problem? Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How many charge - recharge cycles do you have on the battery? A battery that's two years old could have several hundred or more cycles of charging discharging or very little. A lot depends on how you use your battery as to how long it will last. However, it does sound like your battery has died and that you need a new one.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
I would place a vague guess at around 500 cycles, but the battery hasn't been displaying any signs of poor health. Given, a good battery will run like a champ until the day it dies...

Well, I work in retail electronics, so a battery won't be a huge expense... but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem that could be fixed easily.

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would place a vague guess at around 500 cycles, but the battery hasn't been displaying any signs of poor health. Given, a good battery will run like a champ until the day it dies...

Well, I work in retail electronics, so a battery won't be a huge expense... but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem that could be fixed easily.

Thanks!

500 cycles is quite a bit...but since you said that it used to get 3-4 hours on a full charge (I'm assuming that this was relatively recently)...that would sort of confuse things.

There is a program called Coconut Battery that can give you a bit more info on your battery (if you're not using it already):

coconut-flavour.com - [coconutBattery 2.6.5]

Although you said that your computer doesn't seem to be recognizing the battery, hopefully Coconut Battery will see it.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
With charge issues you could always try this might give u a few more cycles.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.