Word Processing for Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, 266 GHz, 4GB RAM
I need a word processor for Snow Leopard that will read and write to the .doc and .rtf formats. I had NeoOffice but it is basically far from ready for prime time. It will not format picture inserts properly and dropped two out of three pages of my document when I saved it. Yes, I did have the Snow Leopard upgrade for it. No, you can no longer access the help forums and post there unless you donate cash to them. Obviously, I have no desire to donate to something that doesn't work.

Does anyone know of another, non-Microsoft, program that actually works with Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
iWork or OpenOffice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Bean? (works in Leopard)

T

todd51

I would try the 30 day trial for iWork, which has Pages as the word-processor. It also comes with Keynote (for presentations) and Numbers (spreadsheets). Give it a try and see if you like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, iMac
I would also recommend trying the iWork demo. I found that I really like Pages and Keynote(presentation), but I am still not satisfied with Numbers (spreadsheet).

From the Pages Help menu, I found that Pages will import .txt, .rtf and .doc files and will export to .pdf,.txt,.rtf and .doc.

Mike

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Link to a similar thread.

I would ignore the poll at the top of the page. Office for Mac is terrible. The only reason why I even have it is because the school uses it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you're working with .doc and .rtf files, the obvious solution is Microsoft Word.

Other programs can work with .doc files, but none as well as the native app.

Office for Mac is terrible.
I have not found it to be so. It has problems, sure, but it is the best for working with .doc files. Microsoft did create those formats, and only Microsoft really knows how to work with them.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If you're working with .doc and .rtf files, the obvious solution is Microsoft Word.

Other programs can work with .doc files, but none as well as the native app.

I have not found it to be so. It has problems, sure, but it is the best for working with .doc files. Microsoft did create those formats, and only Microsoft really knows how to work with them.

It's terrible for the Mac. It's nothing like the Windows version. The layout is different and it's takes ages to launch. I do a lot of typing when I'm in class taking notes. By the time it launches the lecture is already 5 minutes in.

The only thing I really use office for is Excel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It's nothing like the Windows version. The layout is different...
A very good thing.

and it's takes ages to launch. I do a lot of typing when I'm in class taking notes. By the time it launches the lecture is already 5 minutes in.
The first launch is kind of slow; it's about 30 seconds. Successive launches take three seconds.

Really. I timed it.

Office is not the greatest, but it's quite usable. And I'd take it over Office 2007 any day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
I have had success using Nisus Writer Pro in every day use; it saves natively to .rtf, but also opens and saves to .doc format. It feels like a word processor should and doesn’t intrude into my writing. Having used it in OS X for the past three years, I don’t ever remember it crashing. And it was recently updated to be compatible with SL. Also, includes 30 day free trial.

Now, regarding picture inserts, it depends on what and how that is done. The Nisus forums feature the staff as well as very accomplished users.

I also use Papyrus which is cross-platform, very mature and great to use. It runs in memory, so very fast, efficient word processor and semi-page layout. However, I have not used it to work with .doc or .rtf files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The layout is different and it's takes ages to launch.

Have you updated to version 12.2.1? For me it is a seven second loading, including Product ID info which is very similar to Pages.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.