Mac vs Windows PC for Illustrator

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I'm new here. I'm trying to find technical justification for why my team should be using CS4 on a MAC, rather than on a PC. And I know it's slower on a PC. :) My issue is that if my team uses PCs and then their artwork output goes over to a printer who is going to be using a MAC that something might go amiss. I'm mainly worried about loss of text, particularly in unusual languages/scripts. Has anyone seen major issues with this?

Many thanks!

maat1976

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
old Dual 2.0 G5, new(er) ibook, old ibook, Mac Plus
I would love to tell you that you have to use a mac or else, but I can't. The fact is that most the time your art work or InDesign files will be sent to a printer as a PDF so thats a non issue. Even if you don't the printer will still have compatibility with it if its made on a pc or mac (also the printer will work with you to iron out any compatibility problems if there are any). The biggest problem is going between versions, say Illustrator 10 to CS2, that has been a huge headache.
That being said, a large portion of graphic artists, design houses, publishers and printers use macs so go with the flow :)

That's my 2 cents :)

Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Hi guys.

I'm new here. I'm trying to find technical justification for why my team should be using CS4 on a MAC, rather than on a PC. And I know it's slower on a PC.
Not so.
I use a Mac at home and a Windows PC at work.
There is no discernable difference between the two.
My issue is that if my team uses PCs and then their artwork output goes over to a printer who is going to be using a MAC that something might go amiss.
Again, nothing to worry about. An .ai file is a .ai file, regardless of what OS was used.
I'm mainly worried about loss of text, particularly in unusual languages/scripts. Has anyone seen major issues with this?
No, because if you are sending an .ai file to print and it has a custom/odd font, all of the text should be converted to outlines anyway.

In short, there is no advantage to using one OS over the other.

OP
M
Reaction score
I have read about there being font issues with files when opened on a MAC but created on a PC. Our files are heavily text based (think patient information leaflets) in dozens of scripts (Hebrew, Chinese, Cyrrillic) and we can't chance any content loss or font change.

If we create our files on a PC, when our printers start doing their pre-press work, we shouldn't have issues?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
The only reason you'd choose OS X or Windows here would be purely personal preference. The software runs exactly the same on both OS's and I can assure you that there is no performance difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have read about there being font issues with files when opened on a MAC but created on a PC. Our files are heavily text based (think patient information leaflets) in dozens of scripts (Hebrew, Chinese, Cyrrillic) and we can't chance any content loss or font change.

If we create our files on a PC, when our printers start doing their pre-press work, we shouldn't have issues?

Thanks.

No, because if you are sending an .ai file to print and it has a custom/odd font, all of the text should be converted to outlines anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
only font issues that arise are when the correct fonts are not installed on the machine viewing them. When in doubt, make sure the printers have the font or send it along ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Most print houses nowadays use an Acrobat based workflow.

So most of the time the Mac PC issue is mute since a majority of printers would prefer you to supply a press ready PDF file

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Either have the fonts on hand when you send it to the printers, or just outline all your text. Problem solved.

OP
M
Reaction score
I completely forgot that we already outline all our text anyway. Now I feel silly. :) Thanks!

OP
M
Reaction score
What about old files that were created on a MAC and now need to be updated on a PC? Would the Adobe feature be able to pick up slight changes in location, font size, or text?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What about old files that were created on a MAC and now need to be updated on a PC? Would the Adobe feature be able to pick up slight changes in location, font size, or text?

Thanks.
Wouldn't matter in the slightest.
The application is the exact same for each OS.
As I said:

...An .ai file is a .ai file, regardless of what OS was used....

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, this is one I have examples on. My team had created some files in Illustrator for a variable printing mat. It was created on a MAC, and when the file was opened on the PC, the font size had changed dramatically and had to be readjusted. It was a font common to both versions of Illustrator. I can't have printers, some of whom do require live files not just outline ones, having to mess around with readjusting font size. Let see if I can dig up the images.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Well, this is one I have examples on. My team had created some files in Illustrator for a variable printing mat. It was created on a MAC, and when the file was opened on the PC, the font size had changed dramatically and had to be readjusted. It was a font common to both versions of Illustrator. I can't have printers, some of whom do require live files not just outline ones, having to mess around with readjusting font size. Let see if I can dig up the images.

Thanks.

What you're experiencing can happen between versions of AI. What version are you opening and what version was used to create it originally?

OP
M
Reaction score
CS4 on a MAC and CS4 on a PC. We originally thought it was happening between CS2 and CS4 but I had one of the operators create something on her MAC and on her PC and there was a definite different in the size of the font when using the same font, same size, on both platforms. Really odd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So the font was actually a different size across platforms? Say Caslon 11pt was Caslon 14pt when opened on the PC?

OP
M
Reaction score
The operator printed out a file with a Times New Roman font 6 pt from CS4 on the MAC and a file with a Times New Roman font 6 pt on the PC.

We overlaid them and they are clearly not the same dimensions. They were both printed out at 100% size.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
My guess would be different font foundries? Are you guys using some kind of font manager?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.