Preventing name change to external HFS+ disk

Reaction score
I have an external HFS+ disk attached via USB to an eMac running 10.4.10.

I use an AppleScript to organise the drive on login, but it will only work if the drive has a specific name.

All users require read/write access to the drive, but is there any way to prevent the user changing its name? Some users (they're kids, so some of them like messing things up) will change the name of the drive, and it ruins the functionality of the setup.

I have attempted to hide the drive using AppleScript, but then Finder cannot open any folders on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It's a bad idea to have a script depend on a fixed pathname. You should probably rewrite it to identify the volume based on some other combination of characteristics (You could, for example, put a locked, write-disabled file with a particular name on the disk.) and then refer to it by volume ID.

Once you've got the ID, you can do whatever cleanup you want, and even rename the disk back to whatever you want it to be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.