Mail to Groups

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I notice that if I open Address Book, I can right click on a Group and select "Send email to (groupname)." But if I open Mail, New Message, select Address, and right click on the same Group, the "Send email to (groupname)" option is inactive. Any idea why?

Why can I send to a Group out of the Address Book, but not out of Address in Mail? That just seems wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
If you are already in Mail just drag and drop the group from the left column in the address book to To, CC or BCC..
If all else fails try drag & drop ~ Maybe try it first :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Or, in Mail, simply start typing the name of the group and it will autofill for you.

OP
VegasGeorge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Hey thanks guys! That's amazing! These Macs are SO simple that I keep overlooking the obvious. It's been almost three years since I switched, but there's still part of my brain that wants to do everything the hard (PC) way. What a hoot!

OP
VegasGeorge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
OK, here's an additional question about this issue.

If I use drag and drop, I get all the individuals in the group, plus I get the group name itself.

If I use the type the group name method, I just get the individual names in the group.

So, what's with the group name showing up in the "To" (or CC or BCC) field when I drag and drop? Does the group name in the "To" field serve some purpose?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Just lets you check that you have dragged the correct group in I suppose :D
In other words ~ No idea ~ but it's obviously not a problem..

Reaction score
mail to groups

When I try to send a message via Mail/New Message/Address, some of the groups I've previously set up in Address Book appear at left side and some don't! (Mail, Version 4.2 (1077) I don't understand. Help????

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.