• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New Mac Pros

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
has anyone seen the rumor of the so called new mac pros with I9 chips six cores apple insider says something about it as well. just wondering if anyone has been seeing this. and they just revamped the new imac with the same chipset in the present mac pro with the same config asthe 4 core with a max of 16 gigs. so the Mac Pro has to be getting the revamped as well. they cant leave the mac pro with the same internals as a imas, and still be considered a PRO.

what are your thoughts everyone?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
They don't have the same internals. The Mac Pro uses Xeon CPUs, which are server-grade. Very different from the Core i5 and i7 series, which are consumer oriented.

Reaction score
The i9 six core in a MacBook Pro would make no sense at all, especially considering the new iMac's have the i5 and i7 quad cores. If anything, the six core chipset would go straight into either the Mac Pro or XServe. They're better suited for it. (Regardless if i9 is server-grade or not)

The Xeon and the i5/i7 are totally different in terms of market orientation, as said above (what CWA said), the Xeon is server-grade, the i5 and i7 are consumer.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
i meant that the I9 six core would go into the mac pro's.. and they most likely keep the same chipset in both the imac and mac pro for long so i am sure they will upgrade the mac pro soon.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Mac Pros have always used Xeon processors and it's a completely different line and chipset. I can't imagine future models would be any different.

Reaction score
Oops. My bad. Didn't it say MacBook Pro or was I just imagining it? :p

Either way, the Xeon probably won't be replaced with the i9 six core.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you think so...?? intel is making new chipset i think apple with jump on them ..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
They don't have the same internals. The Mac Pro uses Xeon CPUs, which are server-grade. Very different from the Core i5 and i7 series, which are consumer oriented.

The i5 is a Xeon chip, if you'd read the article. But yea, it's still a ridiculous chip. I'm pretty pumped to be starting to make money again. Buying new stuff next year is going to be awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I've learned from the past that Apple can do the unthinkable. I can imagine them going to the new i9, or at least offer the buyer many choices to chose from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 2GB
I think it's funny when people say that Apple has done something in the past so that means that they will follow that strictly. You serious?

I think it is VERY plausible they could put the i9 in it. If it's faster and better, then why wouldn't they?

*waits in anticipation*

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it's funny when people say that Apple has done something in the past so that means that they will follow that strictly. You serious?

I think it is VERY plausible they could put the i9 in it. If it's faster and better, then why wouldn't they?

*waits in anticipation*

I'm getting confused by the nomenclature. After going back and reading through the article, I suspect the rumor is right.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i am just trying to see if i should wait to see if they come out with.. i have to cash to get the current just trying to weigh out my options. i know i know if i wait to the next best thing i will be always waiting.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i am just trying to see if i should wait to see if they come out with.. i have to cash to get the current just trying to weigh out my options. i know i know if i wait to the next best thing i will be always waiting.

I dunno about the Mac Pro. It's a great machine, but way overkill for most users (even power users). I think you'd get a lot more bang for your buck out of the 27" iMac they just came out with. Even if you needed a RAID set, you could do an external FW800 RAID and still save some money.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well i do graphic design and i need a ton of ram for files sizes i usally get up to.. i have some files tipping 300MB or more.. and i run Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign all at once in most cases. i would consider myself a power user for sure...

also i use the previous gen imac at school with 4GB ram and sometimes it just isnt enough for me..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
The mac pro I have is overkill as it is. As an advertiser with gigs of videos, graphic art, music and dj-ing, playing games like Left 4 Dead and TF2 in Windows, this machine is still killer-fast. The raw power from that new mac pro will only be felt by people who do more 3d rendering than I do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
well i do graphic design and i need a ton of ram for files sizes i usally get up to.. i have some files tipping 300MB or more.. and i run Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign all at once in most cases. i would consider myself a power user for sure...

also i use the previous gen imac at school with 4GB ram and sometimes it just isnt enough for me..

So get the new 27inch iMac at quad 2.66GHz i5 with 8GB of RAM. You can even buy a 2x2GB stick yourself for 60 bucks and install it, or get it from apple for an extra 200 bucks (yikes! I hope the repair is easy). Either way, the upgrade over the previous iMac with 4GB would be insane. As it is, the new i5 chip offers 4 cores to do your rendering with, and if it's only using 2 cores, it can speed the up to 3.2GHz each. The 27 inch also has a dedicated graphics card with 512MB of RAM. It's basically the low end mac pro. It's also expandable to 16GB, so if you want to throw your money around, go for it, but it has special software calibration for photographers on it, also, if you watch the new iMac video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2x2.8QuadIntelXeon
Great thing about the MacPro is that I'm very rarely waiting for the system to catch up to me. My biggest pet peeve is the spinning pizza, and I rarely see it on MacPro.
Only time I really see any slow down is when editing large HD video files, transcoding or rendering in FCP or Motion, and even then it's pretty fast.

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great thing about the MacPro is that I'm very rarely waiting for the system to catch up to me. My biggest pet peeve is the spinning pizza, and I rarely see it on MacPro.
Only time I really see any slow down is when editing large HD video files, transcoding or rendering in FCP or Motion, and even then it's pretty fast.

Mac Pro it is next month most likely I will post some pic when I get it thx for the help

OP
macwannabe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Mac Pro it is next month most likely I will post some pic when I get it thx for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

Are you going to do an unboxing and put it on youtube?:D You know you gotta!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.