Liquid damaged MBP beyond economically repair!? What now!?

Reaction score
Hello all,

Two months ago, using the small amount of savings I had, I bought myself a the 250GB 15" Macbook Pro for college. Last sunday when I was back at home, I had people over and very regrettably left my laptop on the table in my dining room. Low and behold, an entire bottle of gatorade spilled over my MBP. My friend, in complete panic, lifted the macbook up by its screen which was pretty effective in having all of the liquid seep through my keyboard.

I frantically brought it over to the Apple Store. Because I had spent so much money on the machine, I was willing to fork over the estimated $1200 to fix the machine. (the reason I did not try to take it out and let it dry was because I was leaving to go back to school the very next morning! I go to school in New Orleans and there are no apple stores there so it was a very immediate thing) Today I got the call that the machine was beyond economical repair and had to be returned unfixed. I am absolutely devastated!

I called the Apple Store back at home and they were VERY nice about it. They really tried to help me get it fixed in the first place. I basically broke down over the phone. Understanding that I was a very broke college student (and probably because I was hysterical) they were kind enough to offer me a 20% discount on my next machine.

I am debating about whether or not to get the 13" Macbook Pro or dish out a few extra hundred for the 15" (what I originally had). I am pretty sure I am going to stick with the 4GB of memory. Right now I am using my old, old early 2006 Macbook with about 512MB of memory and 1.83GHZ and I can barely do work it is so slow (granted I was used to my MBP) Given, I am a science major so the extra screen reaaally is not a necessity but with the discount the 13" would be $1200 v. the $1360 for the 15" ANy opinions?

Will I have to repurchase Applecare for my new computer or can they transfer my Applecare from the damaged one? I mean I only had it for 2 months. If I have to repurchase applecare I think I am going to consider buying a third party insurance policy that will perhaps cover accidental damage, theft, etc. Any suggestions??

Finally, is there ANYTHING I can do with my old MBP with liquid damage? The exterior is in very good condition. Though I am EXTREMELY strapped for cash I am a little hesitant about using Ebay/Craigslist. I am would be very apprehensive about selling my macbook to a thirdparty company in New Orleans..

I appreciate any/all input! This entire week just has been so frustrating. I am going to be 100% broke after buying this new computer. I wish the Apple Store sold scuba gear..... then I would be in good shape.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Right now I am using my old, old early 2006 Macbook with about 512MB of memory and 1.83GHZ and I can barely do work it is so slow (granted I was used to my MBP).

First I am sorry to hear what happened to your MBP...but part of owning an expensive device such as an almost brand new laptop computer is being very very careful with it.

Secondly...that 2006 MacBook is still a very good computer, it's a little light on ram, so a ram upgrade may be in order, and will only cost $40-$80 bucks.

Third...put your liquid damaged MBP up for sale on e-Bay...and recoup as much $$$ as you can.

Forth...you're a college student who owned TWO laptop computers! Your older MacBook, and the now liquid damaged MBP.

I'm sorry to say that there are a lot more people in the world who are in a much worse situation than you are! People without jobs, people who cannot feed their families, people who are losing their homes, and young people who cannot afford to go to college or own TWO laptop computers!!!

Chalk this unfortunate situation up to experience, and move on!

- Nick

Reaction score
I can't afford college, can't get a job (my hometown's economy is in the toilet right now) and have to rely heavily on my Dad for computers.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That's a real shame, you have my sympathies.

I agree that you can probably recoup some money by either parting it out on eBay or selling the entire machine as damaged. The case parts alone should be worth a few hundred. Trust me, there's people that will pay good money to replace a scratched up case or broken screen (I'd be willing to bet that's still OK).

I would also recommend trying to go for the 15" low-end MacBook Pro as a replacement if you need the screen size.

OP
B
Reaction score
First I am sorry to hear what happened to your MBP...but part of owning an expensive device such as an almost brand new laptop computer is being very very careful with it.

Secondly...that 2006 MacBook is still a very good computer, it's a little light on ram, so a ram upgrade may be in order, and will only cost $40-$80 bucks.

Third...put your liquid damaged MBP up for sale on e-Bay...and recoup as much $$$ as you can.

Forth...you're a college student who owned TWO laptop computers! Your older MacBook, and the now liquid damaged MBP.

I'm sorry to say that there are a lot more people in the world who are in a much worse situation than you are! People without jobs, people who cannot feed their families, people who are losing their homes, and young people who cannot afford to go to college or own TWO laptop computers!!!

Chalk this unfortunate situation up to experience, and move on!

- Nick

Oh no, I completely understand. Don't think that I am some spoiled ungrateful brat. I worked my *** OFF in high school to receive the grades I did and luckily, I was able to receive enough scholarships to fund most my education and enough to buy the laptop I dreamed of. Though I am blessed, I had to work hard for what I have; nothing was just handed to me. Because I paid for it with my own money makes me able to appreciate it just that much more I guess.

I would use my the old 2006 MB, but it has had 2 major hard drive failures (both were deemed as faulty manufacturing) in the past two years so I cannot bank on this thing staying alive throughout college. Plus, I passed it down to my brother when I left for college and I already feel terrible about taking it back only temporarily...

Thanks everyone for the insight!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Oh no, I completely understand. Don't think that I am some spoiled ungrateful brat. I worked my *** OFF in high school to receive the grades I did and luckily, I was able to receive enough scholarships to fund most my education and enough to buy the laptop I dreamed of. Though I am blessed, I had to work hard for what I have; nothing was just handed to me. Because I paid for it with my own money makes me able to appreciate it just that much more I guess.

I would use my the old 2006 MB, but it has had 2 major hard drive failures (both were deemed as faulty manufacturing) in the past two years so I cannot bank on this thing staying alive throughout college. Plus, I passed it down to my brother when I left for college and I already feel terrible about taking it back only temporarily...

Thanks everyone for the insight!

Please don't take my earlier message the wrong way. I was just simply being realistic, and looking at the bigger picture.

It is certainly TERRIBLE what happened to your new MBP...and certainly wasn't entirely your fault....cause who knew some friends would spill Gatorade on it!:(

I just wanted to keep things in perspective that worse things can happen in life, and many of us have it MUCH better than other folks around the world...or even our neighbors next door.

I think that the best you can do is use that older MacBook (a shame you had to take it back from your brother)...and try to sell your damaged MBP on e-Bay.

As "cwa107" said...you would be surprised how much a damaged laptop will sell for (especially a new model). Since some folks out there are willing to take the chance that they could get it working again or replacing the damaged parts themselves a lot cheaper than the Apple Store was going to charge you to fix it.

Again...sorry to hear about what happened to your computer. I would be in shock as well.

I hope everything turns out positively:)...and you end up scraping enough cash together to get another laptop. Don't forget to check out Apples refurbished deals, or consider purchasing a 6-12 month old MBP.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.